Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paddle Gear Shift

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
Hi All

I am considering retro fitting the genuine Holden gear shift paddles to my 3 month old SV6 Sportswagon. I also like the idea that you get the flat bottom steering wheel as well.
I have few questions to those who have had them fitted to their VF11 Commodores.

Is it worth having or does the novelty wear off after a while?
Does it improve the driving experience on twisty or mountainous roads?
Any issues with them?
Would you fit them again?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I had it done. Definitely worth it in my opinion. I never used the gear shifter to manually change gears before, the feeling isn't as nice as the ZF for instance. The paddle shifters feel great and changes "seem" snappier.
The better steering wheel is a mad extra bonus.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Have one on our VF2 SV6 ute & getting one on our SS wagon. The paddles are OK for something different (we had paddles on a VZ SV6 when they were standard in the day). I don't use them everyday that is for sure but when I'm out for a drive and want to control the gear changes for a bit of mental stimulus then I use them.
More than this, you grip the wheel everytime you get behind it & for feel it leaves the standard wheel for dead. Get it! You won't regret it.

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
Its pretty good, but obviously nothing like pulling gears in a manual. sometime using the shifter in manual mode is easier, particularly when the road gets twisty or sharper turning, as the paddles turn with the wheel, so they quickly disappear from where your hands are...

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
They are factory fitted on mine an I love em!

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
I love the paddle shifters if it didn't have them I would have gone with the manual. They're excellent for spirited driving as you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, unless the corner is really tight like trofius mentioned but generally don't change gears at that point anyway. Definitely recommend them.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
True, not exactly the same as having a manual but those of us like PA38 wanting a wagon didn't have the choice of a manual to start with.

PA38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6 Black Edition Sportswagon
Well I've booked my vehicle in to get the new wheel and paddles fitted at my local dealer in Wodonga Vic, They quoted my $620.00 fitted which is the RRP on the Holden website. I was worried that they would sting me, as I didn't buy the car from them only because they didn't have or couldn't get one at the time. So they have earned some brownie points of me !! Another Holden dealer had the part on e-bay for $480.00 delivered but I thought for the extra $140.00 I wouldn't take the risk of installing it myself even after reading a brilliant post on how to do it by one of our forum members "Cashie" Thank you !! Well let you all know what I think after next Tuesday week.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I've booked my vehicle in to get the new wheel and paddles fitted at my local dealer in Wodonga Vic, They quoted my $620.00 fitted which is the RRP on the Holden website. I was worried that they would sting me, as I didn't buy the car from them only because they didn't have or couldn't get one at the time. So they have earned some brownie points of me !! Another Holden dealer had the part on e-bay for $480.00 delivered but I thought for the extra $140.00 I wouldn't take the risk of installing it myself even after reading a brilliant post on how to do it by one of our forum members "Cashie" Thank you !! Well let you all know what I think after next Tuesday week.
You won't be disappointed..and that price is fair & worth it.

Plonker

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline Ute & 2016 SSV Redline Sedan
One thing I have noticed is the shift on my 2015 VF1 Redline Ute is much snappier than the shift on my 2016 VF2 Redline Sedan, not sure if they have changed the tuning in the box mated to the LS3 over the 6L. Back on topic the paddle shifts cam standard on both my cars and I absolutely love them, my wife can't drive manual so was stuck with the autos but the paddles make it worthwile.