Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint stripper for engine covers?

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yep, and these are the red GTS HSV 300 cast type, not the ABS or polypropylene plastic, etc, seen on regular production models.
Yes, always wary of fluids on plastics that then create further problems in the future or for next paint to adhere

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If this is the case then the only options available will be to:
1. Sell them.
2. Repaint them and sell them.
3. Sand all the paint off. Will take next level patience and then repaint in satin black to look new again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I reckon soda blasting would be the go. Although if it was me I'd probably try some quick strip in a small spot unseen and see if it starts to melt them. Then I'd probably sandblast them but I have a sandblaster already.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Google know everything :p so look under your engine cover and check the markings, then google to find out about the material used in the construction ;)

“PA“ is a polyamide class material while the “6“ specifically indicates its Nylon and the “GF15“ further indicates the material is 15% glass fibre reinforced.

And PA6-GF15 softens @ 195C & melts @ 225C while it has a flammability index of HB which means it burns but is considered self extinguishing (and is the lowest least flame retardant UL94 rating; whatever that means).

So in theory PA6-GF15 can be repaired using a modded soldering iron and some Nylon cable ties (with a bit of fibreglass if you’re pedantic).

As to issues of stripping paint, Acetone is supposedly safe to use on Nylon. Considering many other paint strippers require using a Nylon brush, presumably such paint strippers could also be safe to use on PA6-GF15 Nylons.

Me, I haven’t tried to ever strip paint off an engine cover but I’m sure many panel beaters/paint shops have done such so you could always talk to one near you if you don’t trust google (and why would you).

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Satin black? Sand them? Do you know what the part is? Google doesn't know what these are.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do you know what the part is? Google doesn't know what these are.
Put up some pictures ;)

Google recognises the part number IM80899 that @Fu Manchu posted earlier from his VX covers :p

Felt that part number Google linked me to the following post which has a bunch of part numbers presumably for the Pontiac GTO (didn’t look too much at the posts).

In any case, post 251 on page 13 does show:

GTO Engine Shields​
L/H Side: IM80899 Supp Number 740603568​
R/H Side: IM80898 Supp Number 740603566​
Whether the VZ and VX use the same split engine covers, or whether that’s the same as the Pontiac split covers, I’ve got no idea :p I do like the split covers more than the huge turtle shell cover on my car :oops: just not enough to buy some split covers :p

Now I’m curious to see your covers ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Satin black? Sand them? Do you know what the part is? Google doesn't know what these are.
It would be next level patience to sand off the paint. Especially on the VX where I think it has like raised bumps in one bit? If I recall.

Maybe a dremmel.

I do like the idea of taking them for soda blasting. That would be super effective.

In regard to the split covers, yeah, way better. Many like no covers. Others like the fibreglass split covers.

What about putting some painting a spot on the underside and trying the brake fluid. It’s not like soaking them in brake fluid for months. It’s just for bit to strip the paint. Worth a shot. I bet you even have some brake fluid in the shed.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yeah, not just thick layers of paint but also has the textured surface, no sanding.
No underside details, these are cast.
Will update with info when I have some.