Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting new rotors

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
just picked up some slotted rotors, and i want to paint them black this thursday, and fit them on saturday.
just wondering what should i do appart from the obvious (clean the oily residue off, make sure they are dry etc) as the rotors are new and have no wearing on them.
do i paint the whole lot including the shiny bit or how do i go about painting them without getting any on the part where the brakes get applied?
the only reason i want to paint them now is because they are new and i dont want them to rust.
i have also searched the threads, but they are not for new ones and my question differs, its obvious where to mask up if they have marks and wearing on them.

all help appreciated

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
i painted mine when i bought them, i used drum and caliper paint (for the same reason, stupid rust on the hub of the rotor).

I didnt mask mine up i just tried not to get too much paint on the actual braking surface. and when i used them for the first time they sounded a little funny, but a couple of brakes later they worked fine and the excess paint had just rubbed off. looks awesome once its done, i'd reccommend it to get rid of that stupid rusty look :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
This one is easy. Get a piece of soft cloth or cotton wool, spray some WD40 or other oil based spary such as moiosture repellant onto the cloth and use that to wipe all over the disk face. After spraying (note - no paint will adhere to the 'oiled surface') use another cloth with some petrol then disc cleaner and away you go. Easy peasy !

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
just picked up some slotted rotors, and i want to paint them black this thursday, and fit them on saturday.
just wondering what should i do appart from the obvious (clean the oily residue off, make sure they are dry etc) as the rotors are new and have no wearing on them.
do i paint the whole lot including the shiny bit or how do i go about painting them without getting any on the part where the brakes get applied?
the only reason i want to paint them now is because they are new and i dont want them to rust.
i have also searched the threads, but they are not for new ones and my question differs, its obvious where to mask up if they have marks and wearing on them.

all help appreciated

Painting the Rotors!! Huh! dont u mean the caliper?
Why u worrying bout em rusting! mine only rust abit when the cars outside & its been raining.

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Hi, I would definetly mask off, wouldnt really want paint to dry into the new pad material. "when i used them for the first time they sounded a little funny," first few brakes would smell funny too..:)
Good idea to prevent rust, the VHT drum and caliper paint works best, one can will do all four if your not silly with it. minimal surface prep required with this stuff as it bakes the paint on to adhere really well after the brakes get heated up the first time.. and the colour lasts ages...

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Painting the Rotors!! Huh! dont u mean the caliper?
Why u worrying bout em rusting! mine only rust abit when the cars outside & its been raining.

Yes he means the rotor's, it looks a lot better then rusty rotors. Maybe you need to do the same.

This one is easy. Get a piece of soft cloth or cotton wool, spray some WD40 or other oil based spary such as moiosture repellant onto the cloth and use that to wipe all over the disk face. After spraying (note - no paint will adhere to the 'oiled surface') use another cloth with some petrol then disc cleaner and away you go. Easy peasy !
wow, that sounds a bit strange spraying wd-40 on a brake rotor, bye bye brakes... masking off OR not even worrying bout a little bit of paint on the rotors would be easier, after all the brakes will clean it off

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Cool thanks everyone. I get the idea with rubbing wd40 on them, and when it's all dried up just clean them with brake cleaner. Might give it a go and mask bits up as well. They are already oiled up in the plastic that they cone in so il give them a clean to begin with then go from there

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
It is best to just mask it off, failing that the WD40 works well. And if you read all his previous post he said clean it off with petroleum and brake cleaner. The second would suffice with no compromise in safety.