Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

!!!!!! Painting top of Radiator - special paint? !!!!

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
If it was me id at least remove the radiator(very simple) and paint the lot.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Yeah, that would save me masking everything up.

But then it is probs more trouble than it's worth. Because I'll more than likely find something else that needs doing. Maybe at a later date. Just wanna get it looking nice and clean and in a reasonable condition and on the road lol.

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
el cheapo paint is fine, haven't used anything else and it doesnt blister or anything, I've even gone so far as to using normal 2pak paint and clear on engine blocks and it doesn't crack or anything with the heat.

Mine still looks like new, years later. :)

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I have used the normal enamel (not the high temp stuff) on radiators over the years and have not ever had the paint peel off.
The secret is you have to prepare the surface properly before painting and you will have no problems.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Oh ok,

And so will the oil based enamel paint be alright then? Won't give off a smell when it gets hot?

How do you mean prepare? Basically I've just gone over it with a wire brush to get of the rubbish and loose/flaking paint - basically gonna paint it as it is in the pics.
And obviously I wiped it clean.

cracker

Reaction score
i used cheap crap, no prep and used my hand to mask it up worked fine

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I have some $2.50 bright orange gloss paint for my brakes, and im sure they get a lot more hot then radiator and its fine. I have had them for about 3 years. its starting to fade in places but i think its just normal wear n tear over the few years. For $2.50 i cant complain