Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Your Dash

nothing

what's this for ?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS Series 2
Hrrrmmmmm, Nice, yeah i was thinking it might look a bit silly... And going over the pics of everyone elses car.. I'm not sure i want to do it now, I think it's kinda like when you draw a picture and it looks mad in your head, but comes out all ****... I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, but i doubt i am going to find a near perfect dashboard, that's why i was toying with the idea of painting my old one. (mine has lugs and clips smashed off it, and bubbles in the vinyl) Or i might be able to grab a VQ statesman interior off a mate with the Door Trimss, But maybe that will look **** too. Maybe i could get it rejuvenated somewhere, but i couldn't find anything on the net about that. ARGH. :( See pics.

P3290237.jpg

P3300243.jpg

P3300244.jpg

P3300245.jpg

P3300246.jpg

P3300242.jpg

Last edited:

nothing

what's this for ?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS Series 2
Oh yeah, I have the Calais dash in my SS, Was put in from Factory. :)

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
im glad everyone is still getting use out of this..

Two years down the track and the paint is still as good as the day i did it.. minus two or three tiny scratches :)

NVMYVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz clubsport, 6L M6
will be doing this soon, aswell as new guage face and hopefully a phreddy custom light job (if the minister allows it)

SSINZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo. 6 Speed. OTR. Tune. Some other bitz
Can anyone tell me.... Dont you need to do a wetsand/sand on the dash after you'v done the primer? or is that a diff kind of primer you use? how is it smooth when you paint it? or does the clear coat fix all those rough bits? Also is it possible to Clear coat over Pinstipes? as im looking to 2 tone the dash and put a black pinner in the middle like the car has to do so.. (half one colour half the other and the joiner = black pin stripe!) will it cover it well and maybe just be a bump or will it move/stuff up?

carra909

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Can anyone tell me.... Dont you need to do a wetsand/sand on the dash after you'v done the primer?

i wet sanded mine between coats to keep it smooth and get rid of any dust that landed on it just use some 1200 or even 1500 and it will come up good. as for pinstripes i have no clue, try it, if it dosnt work slightly sand back till its smooth and spray over.

also another tip when using clear coat make sure it is completely dry between coats/putting in your car some how mine started to yellow.
so after like 6 months i thought stuff it, took it out and just finished spraying it for the 2rd time.
from rattle can grey+clear coat to tamiya metallic gun metal enamel ($12 per 100ml can) you can pick this stuff up at any hobby shop, got mine from hearns hobbies on flinders street. you will need 2-3 cans and be careful it is really thick with a thin nozzle so it will run if you are not doing very thin coats after my first coat i had to sand it back and it still shows some battle scars tho
4698566025_248a06287e.jpg

just need to let it dry n ill put it in the car tomorrow, if i remember ill edit in a photo
4820336030_ed40d3e3b7.jpg

the tamyia spray looks 100X better and the metallics/glittery stuffy looks the best in the sunlight

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
no i didn't sand it at all.. the primer just makes the plastic sticky more that rough to hold the paint on.. and once you give it the coats of paint and clear it smooths out

Cashaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I am going to paint the woodgrain on my statesman......nah that would seriously fail

anyone who has painted the interior of a VS statesman would look homo, no matter how good it looked.

Unless someone can prove me wrong.

MMMSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Executive
hey guys im in the middle of painting mine.
im getting white dials also and blue t5 globes for the cluster.
should look good when done. ill load pics up when finished.
also thank heaps to the guy who posted thread made it easy. :)
you didnt add in that you need wet & dry sand paper for the plastics as the primer doesnt stick to the plastics.. BIG thumbs up!! thanks for the post