Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

parent of 'L' plater - how did u handle it?

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
My son got his L plates on Fri afternoon. For the ‘older’ parents out there, how did you feel when your firstborn got their L plates? On top of the other aspects of life to deal with, good and bad, I find that I have a new concern that has not left my mind since Fri afternoon. He is now on the road in a ‘real’ car, and his only previous experience driving was on PStation….playing Grand Turismo.

How did it feel for u, when your kids got L plates?

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
Im not a parent but I wouldent stress untill he gets his red P's. L's gives parents alot of control and time to observe their childs driving ability and there isnt much room for serious danger. Red P's are a dangerous time and parents have real reason to worry, I never had any scares on my L's but thers been a few times ive nearly been killed/ nearly killed others during my year or red P's.

ruffiano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've taugfht a couple of people to drive, and I appriciate your fear. When you think that this young person is in control of a large heavy piece of machinery, and it requires every ounce of their attention and concentration, it's scary. I've nearly been in accidents whilst teaching people to drive, when they've gone when they shoudln't etc, but I guess the important thing is is to keep your cool with them, and try to make them feel as relaxed as possible whilst learning. Getting angry and stressed and yelling helps no one.
Good luck!

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
I have to say I think I will be the same.... My eldest is only 9 years away from getting his L's but I am already packing it!

I remember with my ex when I first met him he had an XC Falcon with a fully worked V8 in it, of which I made him sell when we had kids, he was 32 and had had it for a long time. His mum came to me and said "Thank you so much, for the first time in 10 years I will be able to sleep at night" LOL I think when my boys have cars... it'll be the same for me!

Try not to stress, easier said than done I guess. But you being stressed will add the pressure on him and he's bound to make mistakes, you with a calm mind will react better to those mistakes rather then being worried.

HSVchixy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY Clubsport
i use to be a driving instructor. most parents use to freak out seeing how i was also very young (22 at that stage actually). but it's good for your sanity if maybe for the first few drives you let them go with a qualified instructor who actually has the 2nd peddal set which allows for better control for kids who think they know it all. most instructors will let a parent sit along for the ride in the back seat at no extra cost. i never had any problems teaching them, it was more frustrating watch them throw it all away on test day because of all the nerves. it really helped with the parents around, as it lets the parent get to know the person they're trusting with their kids lives with and helps set their mind at ease.

i myself was thrown the car keys at age 7 and told to reverse dads manual land cruiser up a hill... bad experience :(

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
No need to stress now he won't be using hardly any throttle with you next to him. It's when he gets P's you start to stress but then again the way P plate laws are going he'll be restricted to 20 kph in a electric car.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
i still remember my first day on my L's, mum took me to the RTA on my birthday and i passed, and drove the car home.
mum was always the hardest to drive with, very loud and boarderline crazy, whereas dad was more calm, but pointed out how to do something, or how i could have done it better next time.

that was only a few years ago, and from my experience i believe if everyone was just a little calmer, (take your kid out to an industrial area first up or something until they "learn the ropes") the whole experience would be easier.

as for the "idiot inexperienced" p plater thoughts, if your kid has a brain between his/her ears, they shouldn't do anything stupid anyway, a car can be a weapon, and should be treated that way.

EDIT: buy them driving lessons for their 17th birthday, they'll learn the basics without you having to stress about your car, and they'll get a good head start :)

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
My youngest has only 30hrs to go until he can sit the test.
He will be going to a driving instructor for the last 10 lessons......in a buzzbox manual. Then use their car for his test. I only have 1 manual vehicle, & he isn't getting the keys just yet! :)
He already has a VS sitting in the yard, waiting.

I taught him [& his brother] the finer arts of peddl'n. Practising emergency stops in the industrial area for precautions.......smashing down thru 5 gears. lol [ the poor VL]
I'm confident that when he has his red P's, that he will use his good judgment. I've taught him how to anticipate, & he is reasonable regarding car control. I've done all i can.

I think that when your kids get their L's, it makes you feel a little older.
When they get their P's....you feel a little accomplished!
It's like opening a chapter on a whole new rollercoaster ride! LOL. .....because it's around this time that some of them start working, they have 18th birthdays, some even fly the nest.
They grow up so quick. lol

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ive been teaching my girlfriends sister, I have to agree with the above screaming and getting upset helps nobody, she wont even go with her mother anymore flat out refuses as all she does is grab the "oh jesus" handle and yell, you guess it "Oh jesus"

The first time I took her out I found myself calmy saying "And if you pull the wheel down slightly to your right we will be off the grass and back on the road" as sticks flung up and scratched the side of my VS, another scar to the respray :(

Remember just as important as the skills you teach are the values you teach, over the next few years you need to be also watching yourself, making sure none of your bad habits pass on to them.

Good luck it's no easy task but the reward is piece of mind

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
My son got his L plates on Fri afternoon. For the ‘older’ parents out there, how did you feel when your firstborn got their L plates? On top of the other aspects of life to deal with, good and bad, I find that I have a new concern that has not left my mind since Fri afternoon. He is now on the road in a ‘real’ car, and his only previous experience driving was on PStation….playing Grand Turismo.

How did it feel for u, when your kids got L plates?
Not a parent.

Now is the worst time for you, you're about to find out what bad habits you have taught your son in 16 years of driving. Hopefully not many......