Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parked in handicapped zone.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What's more dangerous - walking a few yards with a potentially deadly disease or driving a few kilometres in a jacked up Toyota?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Been obese isn't a medical condition in itself, maybe if they parked at the back of the car park and walked a bit further (and bought less crap from the shop) they would loose a bit of that weight.

If walking a few steps might cause or lead to a possibly dramatic and life threatening medical event I would suggest that you shouldn't be driving any vehicle at all.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Not all people look disabled. My partner has had a heart attack, lung disease and two back surgeries as well as other medical conditions. To look at her sitting down or pushing a trolley you would not necessarily recognise a disability. But see her standing and walking without a trolley and it is evident by her walk and her face she is in pain.

Our pet peeve is able-bodied people or delivery drivers using disabled spots. My partner has a disabled sticker and has had one for ten years and it is amazing how many times we are unable to get a disabled park and the cars parked in the spots are not displaying disabled stickers. Grrrrrr ......

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Not all people look disabled. My partner has had a heart attack, lung disease and two back surgeries as well as other medical conditions. To look at her sitting down or pushing a trolley you would not necessarily recognise a disability. But see her standing and walking without a trolley and it is evident by her walk and her face she is in pain.

Our pet peeve is able-bodied people or delivery drivers using disabled spots. My partner has a disabled sticker and has had one for ten years and it is amazing how many times we are unable to get a disabled park and the cars parked in the spots are not displaying disabled stickers. Grrrrrr ......
I know where your coming from . My wife has had a disc removed from her back plus spinal fusion , she also has chronic nerve pain in both arms and a bulging disc . She walks without any aids and looks like any able bodied person and has been abused buy people who say there is nothing wrong with her and she shouldn't has a disabled sticker on her car. I have been abused once at the local shops when I took her car and parked in a non disabled spot .A guy said hey we can't park is your spaces so why are you parking in ours ######## ? Told him to F**k off or he will be needing a sticker

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Been obese isn't a medical condition in itself, maybe if they parked at the back of the car park and walked a bit further (and bought less crap from the shop) they would loose a bit of that weight.

If walking a few steps might cause or lead to a possibly dramatic and life threatening medical event I would suggest that you shouldn't be driving any vehicle at all.

Not sure if this is related to what I said, but If so I didn't say it was related to being obese. Without saying too much, the example I gave wasn't caused by being overweight, it was environmental (which caused the cancer,etc). Doctors orders not to walk too far, or do anything too physically demanding due to potentially literally dropping dead.

Also they get their partner to drive them, you can't guarantee that the person who drove the car is the one who is disabled.

Anyway, if you have a genuine sticker, then I don't care if you are in the spot as you probably do deserve it. Anyone who doesn't have one and parks there is just a dick.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ny personal hate is for people with disabled stickers who arent disabled. For example yesterday toyota landercruiser ute with like a 4 inch lift and a manual in a disabled spot. If a disabled person can climb in and drive that is not disabled.

Do you know why they had a sticker on there for? A mate broke his back 30+ years ago, yet he is competant enough to drive a manual transmissioned 4X4, according to the doctors and transport department....The doctors and centrelink also approve of him to have a disabled parking permit.....He actually finds it more comfortable getting in and out of his 4X4, than his wifes Hyundai Excel

So judging by your comments, he isn't entitled to drive a vehicle, nor is he entitled to have a disabled parking permit, which is also used on his wifes car, when the pain is too much for him to drive himself to the doctors or chemist to fill his script.

You really need to know the reasons behind things, before shooting off like this.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not sure if this is related to what I said, but If so I didn't say it was related to being obese. Without saying too much, the example I gave wasn't caused by being overweight, it was environmental (which caused the cancer,etc). Doctors orders not to walk too far, or do anything too physically demanding due to potentially literally dropping dead.

Also they get their partner to drive them, you can't guarantee that the person who drove the car is the one who is disabled.

Anyway, if you have a genuine sticker, then I don't care if you are in the spot as you probably do deserve it. Anyone who doesn't have one and parks there is just a dick.

Nahh, not particularly aimed at you, just a bloody observation of what I see happening around here locally. It seems certain people (lazzy fat ####ers of a certain.........) that have a self entitlement complex and think the rules don't apply to them.... IF a person has a genuine reason and the appropriate sticker than I don't have an issue, however if someone who is borrowing a vehicle with said sticker than they shouldn't using the parking.

I know of one old timer that drives a really old Ford F150. It's been bagged and sits on the rails which makes it nice and easy for him to get in/out of it :)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Look guys i have a severely disabled sister with autism yet my mother cant get a disabled sticker for her.

I suppose my definition of a disability is different from someone who can walk talk and drive a car properly compared to a family member who can do none of these things....

Maybe i shouldn't shoot my mouth off about things i know nothing about.

Here's another being old isn't a disability its just called being old.....

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
In my opinion being in pain but still being able to walk without aids is not a disability.
to me a disabled person is someone who cannot walk unaided or is confined to a wheelchair.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
It is an awfully grey area.

There are way too many things to take into consideration. Without knowing how they make their decision on whether or not you get a permit we can't even guess as to what it entails, and for all we know the individuals, or companies, or medical professionals, or whoever they are who decide this may or may not be biased, and variations most likely occur letting some people have a permit who may not necessarily need it all the time, and others who do deserve one miss out.

For some people walking with an aid may not be a problem, but for others BAD pain can cause you to be immobile.
Of course there would be certain people who should get one without a doubt, if you have lost a limb for example.

Regardless, if someone parks in a disabled spot with a legitimate permit, then it really isn't anyone else's business to decide as to if they look disabled or not, or should be parking there or not; for all we know they could have a kid, or a partner with a bad disability in the car (who gets out, I feel like they shouldn't be parking there if the disabled person isn't getting out of the car, that's just being lazy).

Now if they don't have a permit, like many people we see out there who park in these spaces, that's a different story.