Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parking on wrong side of road

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
When I went for my P plates, the instructor mentioned that I had to park within 30cm of the kerb. The other side of the road is like 300cm from the kerb. That is definitely further than 30cm from the kerb.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Like that in Vic too.
It's an Australia wide road regulation. End of story with the nature strip discussion.

I've done it a few times lately at another house in a quiet street, and i've become stationary for a few minutes on the other side of the road's carspot on a busy 2 lane road to drop off people.

I can see logic in stationary but not parked vehicles on wrong side of road, however parking on the wrong side of the road in relation to direction of travel is stupid. The front of your vehicle isn't designed to have reflectors for people's lights to hit in the dark (or even heavy rain). The rear does!

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
When I went for my P plates, the instructor mentioned that I had to park within 30cm of the kerb. The other side of the road is like 300cm from the kerb. That is definitely further than 30cm from the kerb.

yep, my dad told me a friend of his got a fine for parking 20ft from the curb for it, dunno if it's true about the fine, but it made a good story

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
dads mate is a pom and its legal over in pommie land and he did it in sydney and the cops had a go at him, but he got off by acting dumb and showing his pom licence

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I park like that, I think it's ok

as long as you don't confuse other drivers while going into the park or out of it, I see no harm in doing that ( especially in crowded places where u can't find a parking space easily )

mz81vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec.
At mum's i do it. She lives in a new housing estate. They don't have a nature strip. And if you parked even one car on the road its a tight squeeze for cars to drive past. The road is fairly narrow. So we park half up the gutter. Coz its a round gutter not a square one and its easy to mount the kerb. But her neighbours across the road let me park on their grass and sometimes i just park in the opposite direction coz its the direction i drive into the street in. Almost everyone in the estate does it. I wouldn't do it out the front of my house though. Coz there's no need. I park in my driveway :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Must be a reall trouble driving around in towns/citys these days if no one can park on the nature strip anymore. Everyone just parks on thier front lawn these days or what?. Most houses have at least two cars, sometimes 4 so they can't all be in the shed

mz81vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec.
I park my car on my nature strip. I have a skip in my driveway so my car is on the nature strip til i'm done with the skip. Before that i used to let my neighbour park on my side of the nature strip so his girlfriend didn't have to park her car on the street. There as at least another 20 cars that do it in my street. No-one has ever been in trouble for it. Lucky it seems our council has something better to do than annoying those that park on the nature strip.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
In some incidences parking on the nature strip can be a problem. I used to walk to pick my daughter up from school everyday pushing my baby son in a pram then you get these inconsiderate pricks blocking the naturestrip and pathway and people parking on the roadside which left us no option but to walk around them in the middle of a busy road. Yeah I'm an adult and I can handle that but it is a worry when young kids have to do this , sometimes they just pop out onto the road and you don't even see them coming, I seen a few close calls. If you live in a quiet area where no one is walking past all the time and you aren't putting anyone in danger then by all means park on your nature strip but there are damn good reasons why there are laws against this.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Seems like there's only two ways out, delete the cars and make better public transport or delete the nature strips and make the roads wider :)