Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Perfect Rock Sound System

MONVTARO

Reaction score
hey ppl's
I listen to mainly rock no offense to any body but thats wat i like and i want my system to complement my music likes. Now ive herd many mixed feelings about having a sub or not can someone who knows the answer to this question plz fill me in.

So to sum it up:

-Do i need a Sub if so how big and in what type of box.
-Would it be wise to have splits in the front and 6.5inch coxials in the rear doors or 6*9's in the parcel shelf.

thxs ppl any info would be great.

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey,

Personally, I think a sub is helpful unless you have a lot of money to spend. Size isn't really all that important, just as long as it's not crap. Sealed box may sound better, maybe not, it's a matter of taste really. I listen to a lot of rock and I find my sub sounds as good in its current box (1.85cu.ft. ported @35Hz) as it did in the old box (1cu.ft. sealed), the only main difference being it goes much louder now.

It would be wise to spend a fair chunk of your budget on your front speakers, possibly even leaving the rear stock until you have more cash, that is, if you think they need replacing at all.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
If you get a sub don’t get 6x9’s

Make sure you amp the splits in the front

I don’t know if you really need 6 speakers, but if you do decide to put 4 in the back you could probably run them off the head unit. It would do a good job. The only thing is you may have problems when it comes to fading channels and stuff. I’d probably stick with 4 speakers. Makes things a little easier. Just buy some decent quality speakers instead of lots of crap ones. If you do want 6 speakers you can get a splitter box for your RCA’s and amp all the speakers.

If you get a sub put it in a sealed box. I listen to a lot of rock and I have a 12” eclipse. I think it does a pretty good job. Sealed boxes give more punchy bass.

You may not even need a sub if you get some really good splits for the front. My friends alpine type x’s are running off 125W rms each and produce a hell of a lot of bass.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Mate, I just put in a new head unit (Pioneer), 6x9s in the shelf and 6.5" Jaycar splits up front and it sounds great and I listen to Rock generally. Once I fiddled with the head unit settings (loadness, EQ-EX, etc) - more bass than I need. It really sounds good with the components at the front. For me I wouldn't want to lose boot space for a sub.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
What do you want from your system sound quality or just loud?

The sub should play the lower two octaves of music, this is up to about 80-100hz or thereabout. The front splits mid and tweeter will cover the range up from there. So if you want good sound quality you really should have a sub otherwise you miss out on these low notes.

Having said that, not everyone wants true SQ. Most of us like certain frequencies boosted and others cut. This varies according to individual taste and the car/installation. Some people are happy with 6x9s to provide some sub bass. I personally think they sound "off" but thats just my opinion.

One nice 10" sub in a small sealed box is all you need to fill in the range below what the front splits can play. The sub itself should not really be noticed, but the music sounds full and complete. My Jl Audio 10" is in a .7 cubic foot sealed box, which is quite small and it does the job well.

So get some nice splits for the front and a sub. Don't bother with 6x9s, use the stock rears or some cheap coaxials and run them off the head unit for rear passengers when needed. The sound should all appear to be in front of you (staging). So when no one is in the back fade the rears out.

When choosing components for your system, choose quality over quantity every time. The differences in sound quality can be amazing. Try to listen to lots of different installations and sound boards, to see what you like best. Try to listen with your own music. One economical four channel amp can power the splits and sub very loud.

If you want some suggestions for your system components, post the type of car and your budjet.

Just my 2 cents.

V

vprsvmille

Pretty much what everyone else is saying.

A sub will add to your rock music experience if you use the right config.

A sealed enclosure sounds good for rock because you get tight punchy bass. A ported box gives more resonance effects and may sound deeper, but generally more boomy and sounds better for techno/dance.

Personally, if it was just rock I listened to, I'd go for a sealed enclosure.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers.