Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
lol, dont misunderstand what i'm saying... I completely agree with what you are saying! In my defence i never modified my car to peform like a v8, Just a faster alloytec. I guess more so what i am getting at is im sure he understands its cheaper etc to buy a V8 im sure if he wanted to he would. The old V8 thing is a bit tiring to me these days

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I have nothing against V6s, Im just trying to save people money that dont realise its easy to spend a lot on the alloytec and not get huge gains unless you go forced induction. (which probably ends up more expensive than upgrading to a v8)

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I agree that modifying a v8 is a far better investment than a V6, however..

my point being that not everyone wants a V8, They cost more in the beginning, they cost more in insurance, fuel, on road costs and the rest... Everyone knows that a V6 is cheaper to run and own than any v8 let alone any v8 or a lumpy cammed V8. In saying that, what is really more cost effective long run? Peformance modified V6 may still be slower than a V8, but compared a V8 a lot cheaper to own, operate and modify.

If i had very deep pockets, or a daddy to back me like most of these school aged, children hooning aorund in v8s i too would own a V8. Fact of the matter, i could prob afford to run a car quicker then a lot of the v8s on here, but i choose not too.

So enough, v8 is cheaper BS. Some of us choose not to.

A 6 Litre Commodore should use the same or less fuel than the Ecotec. I know mine does.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Dunno what the alloytecs average but I get better fuel economy than the Mrs' Mitsubishi 380...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
I agree that modifying a v8 is a far better investment than a V6, however..

my point being that not everyone wants a V8, They cost more in the beginning, they cost more in insurance, fuel, on road costs and the rest... Everyone knows that a V6 is cheaper to run and own than any v8 let alone any v8 or a lumpy cammed V8. In saying that, what is really more cost effective long run? Peformance modified V6 may still be slower than a V8, but compared a V8 a lot cheaper to own, operate and modify.

If i had very deep pockets, or a daddy to back me like most of these school aged, children hooning aorund in v8s i too would own a V8. Fact of the matter, i could prob afford to run a car quicker then a lot of the v8s on here, but i choose not too.

So enough, v8 is cheaper BS. Some of us choose not to.

What rock are you living under? We're not in the 80's.

V8's only cost (slightly) more in the initial outlay, yes.
I think you'll find the difference in insurance costs would be minimal, I went from a V6 VY, to a V8 VE with a premium increase of around $200 - for an EXTRA $40,000 cover.
The VE uses less fuel than the VY did going to work and back, running only premium, (the most expensive fuel from the bowser).
Whats the extra on road costs? 2 Spark Plugs? Come on WTF?
Who said anything about a "lumpy cammed V8" ??? A stock V8 will (most of the time) out perform a "lumpy cammed V6" - That's the apples we're comparing.

Back up these claims of the V6 being cheaper to own, operate and modify.

A tune costs the same, most intakes for the V6/V8's end up being around the same price, extractors/exhausts are almost identical in price...

It's not about having "deep pockets" (F&F fan boy hey?) or a Daddy to back you, it's about working for your money and wanting the most for your hard earned $$$.

That's right, its about choice, your choice to run a V6, who-ever's choice to run a V8, some one else's choice to modify their V6, so live with your choice and let others have their opinions.

It's all about being informed and being able to make the best decision that's right for you. To do that - you need a variety of opinions.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Pack of morons, as usual, it's gone to "get a V8 blahblah"
I am new to the forum and new to Holdens. I own a stock 2005 Holden Commodore SV6 S/Auto. I have seen so many mods and such about improving performance and it has all become pretty confusing. I would like to know how to improve performance (no super or turbo chargers) and fuel economy.
To answer your question, have a look in here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ultimate-alloytec-performance-thread.142614

Manifold insulators $130 are probably the best bang for buck you will get. If you want more, do a cold air intake and exhaust. Will net you a smooth increase in performance and give you pretty awesome fuel economy. Really depends on how much you want to spend lol. If you're wanting to go even further than that then I'd suggest a supercharger or turbo.

As for V6 vs V8, both have their places. Insurance for me over the last 3-4 years would have cost me an extra $1000 a year, fuel would have probs been the same, then rego, servicing costs (sparkplugs, more oil etc). Personally I'm going to supercharge my SV6, under 2500rpms boost won't be on (centrifugal) so will drive like a stocker on the freeway and around town. ie less fuel. And probably beat a stock SS down the 1/4mile, all the while costing less to run/own than a V8. If you're chasing serious power though, 300-400+rwkw's probably better to get a V8! All comes down to what you're using it for and want you want out of the motor/car.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
And probably beat a stock SS down the 1/4mile, all the while costing less to run/own than a V8. If you're chasing serious power though, 300-400+rwkw's probably better to get a V8! All comes down to what you're using it for and want you want out of the motor/car.

360rwkw turbo V8 - does the job.

I've been down the super 6 path, it's not cheaper than a V8, usually it costs more, and ifsomething can break it will.
Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but don't kid yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.