Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Pack of morons, as usual, it's gone to "get a V8 blahblah"

To answer your question, have a look in here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ultimate-alloytec-performance-thread.142614

Manifold insulators $130 are probably the best bang for buck you will get. If you want more, do a cold air intake and exhaust. Will net you a smooth increase in performance and give you pretty awesome fuel economy. Really depends on how much you want to spend lol. If you're wanting to go even further than that then I'd suggest a supercharger or turbo.

As for V6 vs V8, both have their places. Insurance for me over the last 3-4 years would have cost me an extra $1000 a year, fuel would have probs been the same, then rego, servicing costs (sparkplugs, more oil etc). Personally I'm going to supercharge my SV6, under 2500rpms boost won't be on (centrifugal) so will drive like a stocker on the freeway and around town. ie less fuel. And probably beat a stock SS down the 1/4mile, all the while costing less to run/own than a V8. If you're chasing serious power though, 300-400+rwkw's probably better to get a V8! All comes down to what you're using it for and want you want out of the motor/car.

Oil: Roughly another litre.
Plugs: WTF??? From memory they change every 100,000km or so these days. Put 20c in a tin every time you fill up with fuel and you should have enough for several sets of plugs by 100,000 km is up.
Rego: All cost the same in Victoria - Some other states do have a sliding scale depending on motor size though
Blower Costs: Hmmm - if only it were that simple. If you think your car will cost the same around town even tootling around your kidding yourself.

Anybody who bitches about running costs as the reason for buying a V6 over V8 are missing the single largest running cost there is. Depreciation. Buy a near new SS vs a SV6. The SS will cost a couple of K more than the 6 banger. The V8 will hold it's value **far** better than the V6, especially if you are considering modifications. A few mild mods to the V8 (eg bolt ons and tune) will be a very nice car. Once you start banging on after market turbo's, superchargers and the like (on any car really) then they are very difficult to sell if you can move it at all at any price! Whilst I'm on the subject of mods - don't kid yourself into thinking they will increase the value of your car. For every 1 that does, there are 10,000 that either don't or significantly diminish the value.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not making much sense mang. Firstly, I've never seen dumped VE ute used as a taxi :D And nah mate it will :D Centrifugal's don't have much boost below 2500-3000rpm, so around town will behave close to a stocker. Educate yourself on forced induction! The fuel, insurance, servicing savings are an added bonus. As I said above, both have their uses. Personally I wouldn't feel superior driving a poor man's 8cylinder (SV8) anyway, so get off your high horse :D

If you want a car for out and out fast the SV8 is my pic.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea only cause the oil pan holds 6.5 litres of it (alloytec) cubic capacity of a motor IS directly related to the amount of oil it holds internally and not including oil pan and filter

:rofl:. When people refer to cubic capacity of an engine, they are talking about the swept volume of the motor. ie the amount of volume displaced by the pistons going up and down in the cylinders. This is expressed in cubic units. Ie 3.6L motor is 3.6 litres of volume displaced by the pistons going up and down (.6 of a litre per cyl). Note it is an approximate measurement rounded (usually) up by the manufacturer. It has **NOTHING** to do with oil capacity. Although larger motors generally have larger oil sumps it's not always the go. Lots of the old 5 litres had 4.x capacity sumps back in the day. Generally the higher capacity sump is about pushing out service intervals to 15,000 km so people think their servicing costs go down (usually it's not the case though as there is roughly 1.5x the amount of oil these days compared to the past).

Reaper

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
LOL DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR THATS WHAT I MEANT LOL. Take a V8 to any Holden dealership or other workshop for warranty purposes. Will cost more to service than a V6. FACT.

And nope won't be exactly the same. But will be very close. Will still end up using less fuel around town compared to a V8. Being centrifugal power is linear. Boost won't really come on till over 2.5k+. Will still use less fuel than a V8. FACT.

A supercharger is a bolt-on mod. IE YOU CAN UNBOLT IT IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT. FACT

Funny how you didn't mention insurance. I'm getting the s'c installed by Feb. I called the NRMA and they've agreed to cover me for $1103. Which is $53 more than what I'm paying now! Compared to the quote I got for a stock VE SS $1980 a year.

I've said about 50 times already. Might not work out cheaper for others! But for me it has and will. I don't know why people are getting so defensive. It's cheaper for me to s/c my SV6 than trade in and get a V8. So ffs, give it a rest. ONE SCENARIO DOESN'T FIT ALL!!! FACT

Back on topic please.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
If you want a car for out and out fast the SV8 is my pic.

Reaper

While that made no sense... I still get the meaning.

Mine would be a xr6t. boost the psi and $500 flash tune and you eat HSV's.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
What about reliability?

A stock V8 with mild mods vs a S/C V6?

Guarantee the V8 will last longer and cost less over it's lifetime.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR THATS WHAT I MEANT LOL. Take a V8 to any Holden dealership or other workshop for warranty purposes. Will cost more to service than a V6. FACT.

If you take your car to a Holden dealer to get serviced you deserve to get totally and utterly fleeced. FACT

And nope won't be exactly the same. But will be very close. Will still end up using less fuel around town compared to a V8. Being centrifugal power is linear. Boost won't really come on till over 2.5k+. Will still use less fuel than a V8. FACT.

I've seen plenty of snails and blowers in my time. The FACT is that your FACT is FANTASY

A supercharger is a bolt-on mod. IE YOU CAN UNBOLT IT IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT. FACT

So you just unbolt all the extra drivetrain wear and tear too???

Funny how you didn't mention insurance. I'm getting the s'c installed by Feb. I called the NRMA and they've agreed to cover me for $1103. Which is $53 more than what I'm paying now! Compared to the quote I got for a stock VE SS $1980 a year.

Ok - the E3 Senator cost just under $1100 a year for full work commercial use. Maybe you should consider one of them :p

I've said about 50 times already. Might not work out cheaper for others! But for me it has and will. I don't know why people are getting so defensive. It's cheaper for me to s/c my SV6 than trade in and get a V8. So ffs, give it a rest. ONE SCENARIO DOESN'T FIT ALL!!! FACT

Actually you are the one "so defensive". The bottom line for Alloytecs IMO (And I have 2 of them) is they are excellent for transport around town. As a base for performance they are a very poor choice. If you are keen for 6 cyl fast then head over to your friendly Ford dealership - any of the turbo Falcons are excellent. FACT

Reaper

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
First point has nothing to do with anything. I said HOLDEN OR OTHER WORKSHOP!!! Poor rebuttal.

A V6 with no boost will use less fuel than a V8 with more cc's. Thats a given. I've been in a s/c VE SV6 (member on here). Fuel consumption on the fwy and around town was similiar to mine NA. Again, poor rebuttal.

Centrifugals aren't as bad on wear and tear as turbo's and whipples. Not sure what this has to do with anything either. Either way a VE SS driven hard or SV6 driven hard, both will cop wear.

And no thanks. I don't want a car that depreciates by $5000-$10000 a year. And insurance for me would be well over $2000. Not that this has anything to do with it either.

And yet again, I agree, bang for buck, go with V8's. But I don't have one of those. I have a SV6 and it works out cheaper for me to upgrade the SV6 rather than get another car. Insurance, servicing, fuel etc.

SO to sum up my scenario again.
It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper. It works out cheaper.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
reaper is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.