Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Personal opinions needed

Which engine

• Old 454

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Carbied LS Series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other......

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
Im in the planning stage of my HQ and I am stuck on a fairly major point. The engine.

I am deciding on either a 454 or a LS3 with a carby (possibly LS7 if funds allow).

What would go best into a HQ one tonner? And what are the downsides/upsides of both? I even want personal opinions. It will mostly be a weekend drive as my Crewman is in need of some love since I have neglected it lately.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
454 would be easier and cheaper I think in the long run, while it's still cool, I don't think it'll have the street cred, drivability and economy as an ls3 and it's just so much Cooler than the 454, been and done many times, and an upside, there's alot more choice on gear boxes with the ls3

oscar03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY ss hothouse green
i personally love retro tech so i would leave the efi on and use a rat block. there was a hq monaro a a few years back with a 454 in it and the guy that built it said even though it has a huge engine bay, he still needed to do a lot of cutting to get it in properly and make it look good, also doing things like plugs where an ass he also said that the way he needed to run exhaust ment that the oil filter sucked to change as well. he also said it had more torque than a girls night out... some thing that might be a pain in the ass after a while in something with no weight overe the back wheels.

can't wait to see it done though will be awesome.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
why does it have to be old? have you looked at 502 bowties? if you can land one that would be my donk of choice.

transmission selection for a 454 is boundless.

powerglide
200r4
700r4
t350
t400
4l60E
4l80E

there are probably more too. parts for a 454 are DIRT cheap. flat tappet cam and lifters for under 200 bucks off ebay. full rebuild kits inc. forged flat tops for under a grand. PLENTY of reading material because people have been racing these for years (and for good reason too)

there are "direct bolt in" exhausts for these which obviously are not direct bolt in, but little effort involved.

STUFF the stupid LS, go with a real mans engine.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
350 Chev. 10 characters

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
don't forget the lack of weight in the back of your 1 toner, think of something to weigh down the back (e.g. we made a heavy tray that removes for when we want less weight in the back)
so you the back end isn't too light

then big motor

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
I plan on making the tray look alot better, with some hardwood timber to replace the ply and alot of steel to make it stronger. That will add alot of weight.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
you forgot M21 and T56 transmissions Ari =P

just sayin