Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Photovoltaic systems (and other renewable energy's) discussion and show-off thread

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I've seen heaps of them that are rooted hail damage or something thrown on the roof. Thats not counting the dirty cells or cells that make half there rating. Every house I goto I have a suss of what their solar is doing most do sfa from what I see.
I wonder if people are cleaning their solar panels yearly (or bi-yearly) as recommended.
I certainly am, to maximize the efficiency and life of the panels.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I wonder if people are cleaning their solar panels yearly (or bi-yearly) as recommended.
Probably not. I‘ll have to get myself a decent ladder to get up there and clean them as my house is a double story.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Years ago, Energy Aust had an electricity plan which included yearly cleaning which added $6 per month to the bill.
Cleaning never happened as they found out that it was more expensive than $72 per year to do the cleaning, so we were discounted $100 on one bill.
But the $6 fee continued, as it also included a bonus FIT rate, the amount which I have forgotten.
I now do ours with the Karcher (Yeah, I know. Not good) Works OK as long as I keep it on a low angle to lift the birdsh and lichen.
So far I haven't fallen off the ladder or electrocuted myself, yet.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Years ago, Energy Aust had an electricity plan which included yearly cleaning which added $6 per month to the bill.
Cleaning never happened as they found out that it was more expensive than $72 per year to do the cleaning, so we were discounted $100 on one bill.
But the $6 fee continued, as it also included a bonus FIT rate, the amount which I have forgotten.
I now do ours with the Karcher (Yeah, I know. Not good) Works OK as long as I keep it on a low angle to lift the birdsh and lichen.
So far I haven't fallen off the ladder or electrocuted myself, yet.
I just use the long pole soft house brush. Only doing maybe 2panels at a time and moving the ladder over often (so as not to over-reach).
Maybe next time I stand on the roof and brush down the panels so less water contacts me and I'm reaching less.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Probably not. I‘ll have to get myself a decent ladder to get up there and clean them as my house is a double story.
Most definitely not. Roofs and what are on them are the last thing on most peoples minds until something leaks or goes wrong.