Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ping/Knock

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
2009 SV6 Sportswagon(non sidi)65000km's 5sp auto

Been having a pinging/pinking pre-ignition knock that has been happing scince about 40000km's only under load between 1800-2100

Has been back to Holden Three times

First time no fault found. 2nd time they said fuel, ran 98 three tanks still there, developed a ticking injector noise left bank,3rd time they saifd they took the manifold off and sprayed some **** in it ran three more tanks of 98 seemed to be good.Switched back to 95 and it returned.
Now it does it on all fuels Even 98 with a octane booster.It was mainly accerating under load up hills at first but now its doing it on level ground from 1800-2100 rpm (accelerating only, does not do it in neutral or park any gear)

Now from what i understand it should not be able to ping due to having duel knock sensors??? My other thought is it might be advancing the ignition due to a faulty injector.

Any thoughts Would be much appreciated as this is doing my head in its going back to holden soon and it needs to be fixed as its out of warranty in December

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
2009 SV6 Sportswagon(non sidi)65000km's 5sp auto

Been having a pinging/pinking pre-ignition knock that has been happing scince about 40000km's only under load between 1800-2100

Has been back to Holden Three times

First time no fault found. 2nd time they said fuel, ran 98 three tanks still there, developed a ticking injector noise left bank,3rd time they saifd they took the manifold off and sprayed some **** in it ran three more tanks of 98 seemed to be good.Switched back to 95 and it returned.
Now it does it on all fuels Even 98 with a octane booster.It was mainly accerating under load up hills at first but now its doing it on level ground from 1800-2100 rpm (accelerating only, does not do it in neutral or park any gear)

Now from what i understand it should not be able to ping due to having duel knock sensors??? My other thought is it might be advancing the ignition due to a faulty injector.

Any thoughts Would be much appreciated as this is doing my head in its going back to holden soon and it needs to be fixed as its out of warranty in December

It can ping but it should only be for a few seconds then the timing should adjust to suit. Does it do it continuously or does it go away? Warranty expiring is irrelevant as the problem was reported under warranty so continues to be covered till resolved.

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
It can ping but it should only be for a few seconds then the timing should adjust to suit. Does it do it continuously or does it go away? Warranty expiring is irrelevant as the problem was reported under warranty so continues to be covered till resolved.

At the 2000rpm under load its seems to be continuous but as its quite a bad ping i try not to hold it at a point where it can drop a rod or bearing.
Will give it a go tomorrow but i wont hold it 5-6 seconds as i would assume it would the cam would retard by then and i dont want it to go bang as i need it for work.

Rayrayrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I actually have this exact problem... but have been told its just false knock and ignore it... also another mate said to try cleaning the injectors... (still waiting results).
if you figure out what this problem is i would love to know :)

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Update.
So took it to holden again had it all day picked it up and they said no fault found no unusual sounds.Got cranky. Took one of their high level mechanics for a drive.Heard it that time confirmed it was a engine ping.He had a general concerned look and got me to book it in asap and they would need it for 2 days.

I will reply to this post again once it goes back

Rayrayrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks for the update.
Looking forward to finding out what they replace/do.

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
Update.
Ok went back three weeks ago went in they tested the fuel said it was 91 octane which it was. I have already been down that road and know its not the fuel.Nothing was done as they said i didnt follow their recomendation.Fair call as they can only go by following the process for fault finding.Although we did that last time to no avail.
They left the service call open and said bring it back in three weeks after running only 98.

Ran 4 tanks of 98 octane all from different servos i.e shell,bp ect...

In for two days, on pick up they said they re-loaded the computer removed the manifold sprayed more **** to clean the carbon build.said couldnt find a problem b\efore or after.Drove out instant ping went back took a guy for a drive showed him the ping.Was to late to re-book today but will have to do it tommorrow.

Still no idea what the prob is.

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
The head mechanic should be able to spot bad fuel trim data straight away and should be able to pin point faulty injectors at least down to a bank. I assume he had checked this before pulling the manifold off?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Update.
Ok went back three weeks ago went in they tested the fuel said it was 91 octane which it was. I have already been down that road and know its not the fuel.Nothing was done as they said i didnt follow their recomendation.Fair call as they can only go by following the process for fault finding.Although we did that last time to no avail.
They left the service call open and said bring it back in three weeks after running only 98.

Ran 4 tanks of 98 octane all from different servos i.e shell,bp ect...

In for two days, on pick up they said they re-loaded the computer removed the manifold sprayed more **** to clean the carbon build.said couldnt find a problem b\efore or after.Drove out instant ping went back took a guy for a drive showed him the ping.Was to late to re-book today but will have to do it tommorrow.

Still no idea what the prob is.

your car is sold as fit for purpose on 91 octane........a change to 98 is NOT a Holden solution to this problem.

I would be using my phone for this.

btw (and not a point to argue) but I doubt that any Holden Dealer in Oz has the ability to test the octane rating of a fuel sample other than to guess on colour.

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I would assume they would have done all the relevant checks.The mechanic looking after the car from what i have been told has the highest qualification you can get through holden as a tech.Think they said somthing like gold or lvl1 or somthing like that.