Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ping/Knock

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
gezzzzz thats B/S keep us updated aye mate

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
The engine should have been replaced by now. Take this up with Aca or let Holden know if it breaks down on you one day are they going to pay for the money lost as you missed work for the day? I thought there was a 3 strike rule, if they can't fix it within 3 attempts to replace the engine???

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
2 one on each bank apparently.

Has been in again for another 2 days for more testing.Did a leak down test,commpression test and said they stuck a scope down the intake ports to take some picks for the TAC case thats open. That was a week ago and no word as of yet

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
Unbelievable.

Their equipment cant monitor knock sensor output whilst driving the vehicle around?

The fact that a "gold" tech's best response is to spray carby cleaner down the intake isnt a glowing endoresement of that qualification. Surely a dealership full of mechanics is capable of pulling an engine's head off rather than sitting around guessing about carbon build up.

Well done on remaining so calm. I wouldnt have.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Who said spray carby cleaner down the intake?

You cant just pull a head off unless Holden authorises the work. No authority means Holden wont reimburse the dealership for labour/parts.

You can monitor which cylinders are misfiring, doesnt tell you the cause.

You may wish to educate yourself on how workshops and warranty systems work before mouthing off.

mshagg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series Ute
Sorry, was quoting the OP: "Said they fixed it by doing the same thing they did last time by spraying some **** down the intake manifold". If they're not going to diagnose it properly then why even mention carbon deposits? It's about as good as a solution as throwing a bottle of wynns placebo in the fuel tank.

11 visits for a problem which has plagued internal combustion engines since their invention... a problem for which the engine has devices specifically designed to detect and management systems designed to prevent? Detonation should be detected by knock sensors long before the human ear can hear it. By the time pinging is audible, it's doing damage.

I apprecaite that the dealership is limited in its autonomy, but if a problem isnt escalated after 11 visits there is something very wrong with this business model.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Some engines suffer from excessive carbon buildup on the valves, not sure why as it only affects a small percentage. The fix is to remove the intake manifold and spray the valves with upper engine cleaner to soften the carbon then scrub with a tool similar to a toothbrush to remove it.

Again this pinging issue is not common. Yes the knock sensors detect it long before its audible and the ECM attempts to stop it but can only adjust parameters to a certain degree. Some common causes are bad fuel, high engine/inlet temps, lean AFRs etc. Generally we test the fuel, monitor fuel trims and running temps etc. If all the common causes are ruled out its hard to diagnose without stripping the engine down. Holden will generally try everything possible before authorising a strip down but yes eleven visits is taking the piss.

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
So RiCey What would you do if this was your car?? Fyi been another couple of weeks and no response from holden left a message twice for the guy looking after my case no return calls yet.....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pay some natives to steal and burn it.