Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

piston slap in vy gen3?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
They all rattle on 30 weight oil while cold, any engine that big with big clearances will until it warms up and the pistons grow a bit, that's just how it is. The Fords do it too

Nope, mine does not have one single rattle, never did, ran on 10-30 all its life until last oil change.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The majority of them do rattle when cold. Holden say to use the thin oil to achieve economy, but I would use a thicker oil. Go with a 15W40. Try to stay away from an oil that has too big a gap between the numbers. These have more additives to achieve the higher viscosity. These are what break down and make the oil really thin. 15 as the cold rating is ample. Regardless of what commsirac says.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
whats a good full synthetic thats 15w40 not_an_abba_fan? we used to ust 15w40 castrol magnatec in cars at my old work like jag xkr's, rangerovers etc, but i don't think you can use magnatec in a gen 3.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mate, seriously, with gen 3's there IS NO OIL that you can recommend. What keeps one quiet in one car wont work the same way in another. Just look at LS1 forums to see the difference oils make.

That being said, give ULX a try.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Haha...yes...what Minux said. Different strokes for different folks. Experiment until you find one that works. It doesn't really matter what you use, Magnatec is fine, but you will need to flush the engine when you change brands. Mobil is a good oil.

From experience, the more you spend doesn't necessarily mean the better the result. I look after a few cars, among them are 3 VS V6's. Two of them are quite happy running Shell Helix, one doesn't like it, she likes Valvoline XLD. All are 20W50, it just depends on the engine.

Regular oil changes by timing rather than km's are better. I do 3 oil changes a year, November, May, and August regardless of km's. Cold starts are a killer of oil.

Full synthetics are for high performance engines, the LS1 isn't really a high performance engine. (I apologize to the LS1 owners)

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Mate, seriously, with gen 3's there IS NO OIL that you can recommend. What keeps one quiet in one car wont work the same way in another. Just look at LS1 forums to see the difference oils make.

That being said, give ULX a try.

Great advice mate.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
as minux said some oil work well on one but not others
I have tried a fare few and found castrol edge 25/50 is the best for my car
and every one I have converted a few guys to it and they all say it quietens there motor down
and seems to work well on all LS1's

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh iv got the castrol 5w30 in at the moment and it quitened the motor down a fair bit compared to the last oil i was useing, virtually no rattles or knocks at all when i switched to castrol edge, and that was 6-8 months ago and iv done 3 oil changes useing the edge in that time includeing a good flush when i switched from nulons to castrol edge(4 fill warm up drain flushes with valvoline work oil :) when i did it, was thinking of trying the castrol edge25w50 or there 10w60. will check spark plugs 2moro to make sure its not them as mentioned b4.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't use 10W60 unless you change it every couple of months in winter. As I said earlier, the oils with too big a gap between the numbers have more polymers that will break down faster. Depending on where you live, 25W50 may be a bit thick. OK for summer, but really cold winter mornings it may rattle more.