Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

piston slap

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
To all above, I have this noise all the time, I use mobil1 10w30 ONLY! Have never burnt a drop. These motors NEED this oil,(DO NOT USE NULON!!) not just because Holden recommend it. Also, vary your driving patterns, mild driving will lead to oil burning. Yes, these need the occasional thrashing to minimise this problem!! :) I drive mine hard at least 50% of the time, it has 140000 on the clock and sound the same as the day I bought it. (I got it from new.)

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
To all above, I have this noise all the time, I use mobil1 10w30 ONLY! Have never burnt a drop. These motors NEED this oil,(DO NOT USE NULON!!) not just because Holden recommend it. Also, vary your driving patterns, mild driving will lead to oil burning. Yes, these need the occasional thrashing to minimise this problem!! :) I drive mine hard at least 50% of the time, it has 140000 on the clock and sound the same as the day I bought it. (I got it from new.)

Piston slap is a real issue that only a rebuild will fix. Also 10w30 is too thin. Holden only recommend using it because of economic reasons. Royal Purple ftw! :)