Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help me identify what these are?

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Just remember to drain the oil before you start.
Seen a few make that mistake before hahaha

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I'll be doing the job with my gf's brother who's a diesel mechanic and apparently done a lot of work with diffs etc in the past. So should be all sweet.
I'm gonna try do most of it myself if possible, but having someone in the business there will be a help!

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
You will have to drop the entire rear suspension to be able to change the diff..... Should do a VX2 adjustable rear end conversion while you're there.

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
oil refil plug is in a totally different postion on the new diff too. Why would that be if the diffs are the same?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I noticed that, but it may be because it's just IRS they moved it for some reason?
I'm gonna have a look into it anyway and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, my current diff will get an oil change after it gets ripped out to see if the lid is interchangable until I can get the brackets done etc on the new one if it wont fit.

Are the sensors used for speedo as well ? or just strictly ABS?

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
It will fit. You'll just have 2 fill bolts. If they are both m78 diffs then the covers are interchangeable. m78/m80 are not.

You dont have to drop the entire rear suspension. Ive had the diff out of my vt twice in the last 2 weeks.

Undo cv bolts - 8mm hex i think.
Undo tailshaft - 14mm spanner and socket or gear spanner
Undo abs sensors - 5mm hex
Undo sway bar links - 13mm spanner and socket
Undo diff mount - 14mm i think
Undo sway bar d-mounts and slide sway bar out the way - 13mm
Undo top front bolts 17mm - VERY TIGHT
Support diff with trolley jack (get a mate to stabilise it, if you have a gearbox jack use that instead)
Undo rear top bolts 17mm.

drop diff

do reverse with new diff

3 hours with 2 inexperienced people. 2 hours with 1 experienced (and strong) person

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
You will have to drop the entire rear suspension to be able to change the diff..... Should do a VX2 adjustable rear end conversion while you're there.

2 guys doing a backyard job will be very hard to change the cradle out. then you have to change brake lines over and bleed them
And no. You absolutely dont have to drop the "entire cradle" what gives you that idea?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Awesome info Cashman, thanks!

Should be fairly straight forward. Didn't look to be too difficult last night when I looked at it all.
The only thing that threw me was the sensors.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
The only other part I'm worried about would be those small lugs that you can see that seem to just 'position' the lid.
But if there's an issue with the lugs not going in due to changing the lid over, I'll just cut em off or something.
I'm sure they're not that important when you have a bunch of bolts holding the thing together.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Only one poster here has mentioned that you MUST CHANGE THE TWO STUB AXLES. The ABS works off those teeth on your existing stub axle and the axle flanges on your new diff don't have the teeth.

If you're not sure of what to do, it might be a job best left to someone who is. The adjusters on each stub axle pre-load and adjust the bearings and need to be right.