Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help me identify what these are?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
That's cool man, already onto the stub axles. The seller pre warned me about those.
Apparently it's a simple job to take em out. Just a matter of levering them off with a flat head or something?

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
2 guys doing a backyard job will be very hard to change the cradle out. then you have to change brake lines over and bleed them
And no. You absolutely dont have to drop the "entire cradle" what gives you that idea?

I always thought you did being as I've never changed a diff before I've just seen the bolts are in the top of the cross member and wouldn't have thought you could get to them

I have removed a cradle, fitted a new control arm and refitted the cradle all by myself in half a day before and I only had 1 trolley jack and 2 scissor jacks to lift it with.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Well the job is half done.
It took us quite a few hrs to get the existing diff out as we didn't have all the tools we thought we would (gf's bro wasn't able to get into the workshop to bring his tools home).
The allen key bolts around the stub axle are a fkn prick... and one alone took us an hour or so to get it off.

Had some issues with another one and decided to take the whole arm off with the diff, which worked.
Other than those, it was easy to take the diff out. The lid fits snug, we just took the locating dowels out to allow for this.
Tomorrow is a matter of just putting the diff back into the car, which'll be easy now we know what we're dealing with, and tightening everything up. putting the diff oil and friction modifier and then we should have a winner!

I have taken a few random pics here and there when I was able to, but nothing flash, will upload tomorrow probably.

scott-95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Daily VE SV6 & L67 Manual Pig.
1 am Give up time? :smoking:

i found it quite hard to swap my cradel out, i havent got the diff back in yet, let us know if theres any problems you come accros putting it back in!

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
If you haven't already removed the stub axles...you basically just pull them straight out but they don't come out easily, you have to really force them.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
I just slapped my single pegger back in yesterday, rushed it to get it ready for last night/this morning (oh lawd still havent been to bed wtff)

The reason I say undo the sway bar is so u can get to those top front 17mm bolts which i nick named the c*** bolts.
If you dont undo the sway bar then good luck getting a decent drive socket in there big enough to get proper leverage (unless ur a buff c***).

Also what jamesjgts25t said. Yer they "Pull out" but you need some incredible hulk strength or a really well position pry bar.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
One last thing. If you change the cover/lid then you have to scrape off the existing sealer and put some new liquid gasket (or whatever the **** its called).

Edit: Yer shoulda mentioned. if u rotate the cv so that the bolt u wanna remove is near the top its much more accessible.
use the handbrake to hold it in place and use that manly might. I put a big wrench over the allen key. sooooo much easier.

Last edited:

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Yeah all good guys.
We pulled the stub axles out last night, cleaned them up, regreased em and put em into the new diff.
We also got that blue liquid gasket stuff too and let it sit overnight to dry.

The stub axles were all relatively easy (a flat head screw driver used to lever them off on both sides of the stub at a time is good), we only had an issue with one, but eventually it came out after enough jiggling.

Didn't have to take any sway bar off to get those nuts out either. We were able to get a spanner up in there easy enough to do the job.
We had to do the whole rotating CV and rotating the wheels to get access to the bolts. The ones that are on the stub axles I actually had to stomp on the brake hard whilst the gf's bro was trying to lever the goddamn things off they were that tight...

Here's the random pics I took here an there.

The car up on stands, also decided now would be a good time to take the mud flaps off too seeing I was too lazy to jack the car previously and remove the wheels to do it.
33a0a492.jpg

I fkn hate these bolts... thankfully these ones ended up all coming out...
eba74e86.jpg

We gave up on these ones, so the arm came out too..
133d5be9.jpg

Old Diff finally out....

697ff809.jpg

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
The car up on stands, also decided now would be a good time to take the mud flaps off too seeing I was too lazy to jack the car previously and remove the wheels to do it.

How much do want for the mud flaps (if they moulded,incl. postage to Melb.) if u want to get rid of'em??

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Don't think they're moulded dude.
Check out pics of my car in my thread, they're just the usual flat mudflap with a holden emblem. (the emblem is not white).