Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pleeeease help. CANNOT get LCA-radius rod nut undone!!!

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
I'm trying to crack the (30mm) nut, which holds the lower control arm and the radius rod together. I cannot for the life of me get it undone!

First I totally wrecked a good adjustable wrench because I was forcing it so hard it couldn't help but keep slipping. Now I'm using using a 30mm socket, and I'm using a carjack to push the handle up, so as you can imagine there is a LOT of force behind the socket handle. It gets to the point where the handle keeps moving, but the socket doesn't - I'm scared the handle will break!

I've tried heaps of WD40, as well as Loctite Freeze & Release.

If I take it to a mechanic, they'll no doubt get it done, but how???

Please help me guys.

Oh yeah, I've got a 1999 VT Calais, if that makes any difference...

Last edited:

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
I think you are going the wrong way, to undo you have to go anti clockwise that means push the handle down.

regards

keith

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
.......... push the handle down.

regards

keith
If you are undoing the nut from the left of the nut you would push the handle down, but if you were undoing the nut from the right you would pull the handle up. :thumbsup:

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
Yeah thanks guys... "lefty loosey, righty tighty". I do know how to undo a nut. Any other tips would be appreciated though.

There aren't any pins or anything that go through somehow that physically stop it from turning are there? I'm stumped. I'm about 10 seconds away from getting Falcon...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
When I did mine I bought a long handle socket drive and it wasn't easy but it did the job without breaking.

javt99

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
Yeah, I'm using a 15" socket handle. When I was doing the carjack trick, the outer end of the handle would move up (anti-clockwise) 6 or 7 inches and nothing at all would happen (except for me cringing and turning away like I was defusing a nail bomb).

Maybe it needs that same amount of force to be applied quickly to crack it, rather than slowly with the car jack. That would be hard though, as the nut has a pretty shallow profile, plus I can't get much leverage when lying on my back under the car.

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
I had the same problem, I just took the whole radius rod out with the control arm and took it to pedders.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Sometimes you can use a length of pipe to extend the bar. When I did mine I had the Sub fame out on the ground and had to use all of my body weight to crack it.

Jezz

SSbeast

Reaction score
Rattle gun mate and a big one at that problary a 3/4in drive. Or if u have one an impact breaker bar there pretty good for cracking rusted nuts and bolts.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if i was at home id use a length of pipe on the breaker bar, the longer the pipe, the more torque on the nut

if i was at work i would use the 3/4 h/d rattle gun that has enough torque to tilt earth of axis lol