Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

polsihing engine covers

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Rocker covers all done...start on some other parts soon.

Whole bay needs a pretty thorough cleaning aswell lol.
You can say that again lol If the bay is not to badly scratched up it may come up quite well with a high pressure gun ?

Last edited:

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
thought i'd bring up this thread because i had a few questions...

practically everything is ruined in my engine bay. the engine covers have been (re)painted red, and it looks crap and is cracking a bit. i've got that hsv enhanced plaque on the front cover, and it's even got a nice bit of red paint on it so all in all it was a terrible job done. i don't really care about these too much, as i run my car with them off. BUT my bananas and rocker covers have been painted white, and it's cracking REALLY bad and looks so fricken ugly i can barely stand to look at it. i'll get some photos tomorrow, but for now:

1. are there any consequences with removing the rocker covers? ie gaskets, and is it just those allen key bolts you have to undo and they come straight off or is there anything else to worry about? i'll be doing these soon (just polish them up, nothing special, anything will look better than cracked white paint)

2. what can i do about my bananas? obviously i'll have to remove the paint off them before i do anything, but can this be done on the car? i'll get crap everywhere and surely this can't be good around the engine bay? secondly will i even be able to do it without a tool of some sort? i am planning to do it all by hand with sandpaper, but the bananas are a funny surface, wouldn't i end up smoothing them by sanding it? i would prefer to just have them a nice light silver colour to be honest.

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
thought i'd bring up this thread because i had a few questions...

practically everything is ruined in my engine bay. the engine covers have been (re)painted red, and it looks crap and is cracking a bit. i've got that hsv enhanced plaque on the front cover, and it's even got a nice bit of red paint on it so all in all it was a terrible job done. i don't really care about these too much, as i run my car with them off. BUT my bananas and rocker covers have been painted white, and it's cracking REALLY bad and looks so fricken ugly i can barely stand to look at it. i'll get some photos tomorrow, but for now:

1. are there any consequences with removing the rocker covers? ie gaskets, and is it just those allen key bolts you have to undo and they come straight off or is there anything else to worry about? i'll be doing these soon (just polish them up, nothing special, anything will look better than cracked white paint)

2. what can i do about my bananas? obviously i'll have to remove the paint off them before i do anything, but can this be done on the car? i'll get crap everywhere and surely this can't be good around the engine bay? secondly will i even be able to do it without a tool of some sort? i am planning to do it all by hand with sandpaper, but the bananas are a funny surface, wouldn't i end up smoothing them by sanding it? i would prefer to just have them a nice light silver colour to be honest.

i used a steel brush for the bannanas to get all the crap off them .. then masked around the engine bay and sprayed them with VHT silver paint

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Check out this thread for some ideas http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v8-development-modification/97457-polishing-your-bananas-2.html Taking off the rocker covers is as you said with no consequences and if your original gasket are fine i.e. not leaking and still flexible etc then all should be ok to put them back in (though a new set are not that expensive). So that I could still drive the car I bought a set of rocker covers from a wreck for around $120 and worked on those in my spare time. Good luck !

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Thread Resurrection....

Well, i started polishing my covers for my ute today. Done one of the injector covers so far.

I sanded all the ridges off around the edges off the covers with 80 grit paper first though, looks heaps better i reckon. Fairly hard work though....Just got to polish around the bolts and work out what do to with the grooves. Not sure if i want to polish them or paint them.

Anyway, some pics.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 147
  • cover 1.jpg
    cover 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 142
  • cover 2.jpg
    cover 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 136

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
looks good man :thumbsup: i've always wanted to do that to mine, how long did that take ya?