Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pool.

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
I play 8ball fixtures on a thursday night. I have done for the past 15yrs.
I was also the Junior 8ball coach for 5 yrs. One of my juniours is currently representing Aus in Blackpool, UK, now.

so..... yeah... i play :)

Oh...... throw the fishing rod in the bin & buy a wooden cue!

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i was thinking that cool and groovy. i am by no means a pro but what would be a decent stick without wondering to far from $100, give or a take a few dollars. ive seen them up to 500 dollars, but id assume that would be a good one.

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
Cues are a personal item.
Just because they look good, doesn't mean they play good.

All i can suggest, is to try as many as you can, then you will get a better understanding of what best suits you.

There are really only 4 variables when selecting a cue..... Length, tip size, butt size & material. I wont go into the 1pce vs 2pce arguement.
As i said, each one of those criteria is personal choice.

Sometimes it's difficult to make those chioces. I spent 3yrs with my custom built UK cue; trying to decide if it was good or bad....... it was bad! lol

Once you find the cue for you..... use it exclusively! Don't loan it to other players. Don't leave it standing against a wall. & don't leave it at the pub! lol

Wooden cues are lacqured. I carry one of those green pot scourers in my cue case, & i give the cue a little rub before playing. Eventually the lacquer will wear off, leaving that wonderfull timber feeling. No more sticky cues! Try doing that with a fishing rod! lol

The only other thing i will suggest, is to join a 8ball association in your area. Nothing will make you a better player more, than practicing with good players.
You will find that the association in your area will have regular fixtures & competitions. Generally the costs are very reasonable. I really look forward to my thursday nights. It cost me [after the initial registration fees] $10/wk to play.... & the publican buys 1 drink & puts on nibblies. How cheap is that?

Lastly..... don't get hung up on the cost of a cue.
It doesn't matter if it's a $20 or a $2000 cue! Find something which suits you.
I bought a few 2pce cues [with case] from the back of a truck, at the nationals last year. All brand new!
They were surprisingly very good balanced cues, & played a hell of a lot better than some of the big $ cues i've tried!
I presented the most outstanding juniour with a cue at the end of the season. They are still using them today! Go figure!

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i recently moved to victor harbor. i do play for various teams when i go back to my home town and surrounding areas, but over here makes it hard as i work shift work, starting at 2.51 pm and finishing 10.33 pm. is there any brand that you could suggest? or just try and buy like you said.