Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor fuel economy - 6L manual

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Thanks guys, I think my numbers are just wrong so hopefully I see something a bit closer to that with some manual calculations. I do drive it daily and it sees mostly morning traffic and quick trips to the shops and stuff so may be a bit higher than some of you are getting on longer trips, but definitely shouldn't be over 20L/100

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Manual calculations are the only way to go for an accurate assessment of fuel economy

Plus "around town" shouldn't involve sitting on motorways

For my HWY usage on the SS I top the tank up at Costco at Casula and zero the trip meter, then head down the Hwy to Goulburn, down Sydney Rd, then about 5 minutes in a 60kph zone to the daughters, same for the RTN trip, straight back to Costco to refill and get the Ltrs used and Km driven

For around town, it is basically taken from driving to and from work in 50-60 kph suburban streets, to the local shops local, and when we go on drives around the suburbs avoiding toll roads and motorways to just look around at stuff and visit old stomping grounds

I've never seen a dash readout that was accurate, the OBD2 readout for fuel usage in my VX is so far off it is laughably low compared to how much fuel was actually used per 100 Km

Maybe because it is based of a guestimation from what a standard car would use

The Yaris daily though, thrashed around locally uses around 7 Ltrs/100 Km, I have never done a Hwy calc for it, if I'm cruising Hwys it's in the SS

My Harley FXDB use to use around 9 Ltrs/100 km on the same Casula to Goulburn Hwy run, that thing drank the most fuel of any of the bikes I have ever owned, well....... not more than my old oil burning 2 strokes did, but probably twice as much as my more modernish 4 strokes

The fuel economy care factor for the SS = Pay to play, the smiles are worth every penny

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have to agree on the "around town" scenario. It probably varies for all of us.

Guess it's the difference to being "semi rural", as beyond going to the shops which isnt too far, to go to the next suburbs all involve highways or roads 80/100/110kmh.

Have found the digital readout on the SS to be reasonably accurate though, often is on the money for L/100km

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Have to agree on the "around town" scenario. It probably varies for all of us.

Guess it's the difference to being "semi rural", as beyond going to the shops which isnt too far, to go to the next suburbs all involve highways or roads 80/100/110kmh.

Have found the digital readout on the SS to be reasonably accurate though, often is on the money for L/100km
yea definitely agree, around town for me depends on how many idiots crash on the road in the morning, I can either cruise the majority of the way to work at decent pace, 50-60kph, or be stuck in stop start for 20 mins barely progressing 1km down the road.

Reactions: Lex

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
turns out the computer is basically spot on.

did 278.1 km and filled up this morning with 54.56L
that works out to be 19.61L/100km and the computer says it's 19.6

seems to be very thirsty and not sure why :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That is thirsty. Around here and to a from work I get around 16lph. That's with a cammed 6L, manual and 3 9s.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
That is thirsty. Around here and to a from work I get around 16lph. That's with a cammed 6L, manual and 3 9s.

Since my last tune, I'm now seeing 13.3L/100km.
This is a cammed L77 with 3.45 diff gears. With mostly stop start driving every day.

This was a HUGE improvement over what the last tuner gave me.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
turns out the computer is basically spot on.

did 278.1 km and filled up this morning with 54.56L
that works out to be 19.61L/100km and the computer says it's 19.6

seems to be very thirsty and not sure why :(
can also be with some tuners they disable the DFCO, this then only allows the instant fuel to go down to a slow cruise fuel usage like 5-6L per hundred on the instant which u can look at to see if it is or not, where as with DFCO enabled it will turn into an air pump and go to zero fuel usage, this when its averaged out the calc sees a minimum of say 5L/100 compared to 0L/100, but if u put the trip on the instant liters used when u decelerate see if it goes down to zero or not

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Since my last tune, I'm now seeing 13.3L/100km.
This is a cammed L77 with 3.45 diff gears. With mostly stop start driving every day.

This was a HUGE improvement over what the last tuner gave me.
On the mainland highways I get 11lph or better. Around here I get poor economy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I estimate I burn through about 10L for 70km. It's normally about $24 a day to work and back. Based on how much I spend on petrol each fortnight.
I've put in $20 before and its not quite enough for the journey there and back.