Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poor fuel economy - 6L manual

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It looks like your car may be running a bit rich judging by your old plugs.
Hopefully it's just carbon build up and not from oil

Those plugs look 'orrible

OP, are they the right heat range?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just chuck some TR6 plugs in will be fine dont have to go fancy, if there was a same shade of buildup on your 02 sensors then id prob check them out make sure they are working right and not lazy

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
just chuck some TR6 plugs in will be fine dont have to go fancy, if there was a same shade of buildup on your 02 sensors then id prob check them out make sure they are working right and not lazy
This ^^^^^. I fitted NGK TR6 and it's been fine.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Just to add.
If you have a live reading scan tool consider taking it for a drive with it running and a passenger looking over it.
Might show the Oxy Sensors making it rich etc.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
replaced those ones with TR6 plugs :)

O2 sensors not sure how they look, or how old they are, but yea I'm thinking now it might be something like that causing these issues.

edit: I'm pretty sure there's just 2 pre-cat O2 sensors, will have to work out if they're new or not and have a look at them, if they're not that expensive might just replace em anyway.

Last edited:

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Just to add.
If you have a live reading scan tool consider taking it for a drive with it running and a passenger looking over it.
Might show the Oxy Sensors making it rich etc.
unfortunately don't have a scanning tool, I do have an OBD2 bluetooth dongle but not sure it would give the necessary data.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hopefully it's just carbon build up and not from oil

Those plugs look 'orrible

OP, are they the right heat range?
not sure how old those plugs were, might have been swapped when it first got tuned but I can't recall, I don't think they would have put those plugs in though. it's possibly they are the original plugs as engine only has 120k on it. will have to go through some old paperwork see if it's been replaced in the past.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I spoke to a bloke in the trade and he shunned when I bought Delco iridium plugs. He was much happier when I decided to go with standard NGK's.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea the iridium's keep a hot tip for emissions but its not good for making power

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
unfortunately don't have a scanning tool, I do have an OBD2 bluetooth dongle but not sure it would give the necessary data.
When used with an app like Torque it should be able to read the data to help with a diagnosis.

I would be checking short and long term fuel trims first. These will show if the ECU thinks its running lean and adding more fuel.

It should also be able to look at O2 sensor voltage to see if the ECU is seeing the correct info from them.