Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

possible brake failure?

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
so i took the vt up the local range today going up was fine, comeing back was a bit dodgy, brakes felt a bit spongyer then usual. so just before the last bits of the corners the little (!) light came on, like it usually does when u have the hand brake on. and started beeping at me, it was a odd with the braking, sometimes id have to jam the pedal all the way down to the bottom to get any real response and sometimes it would be right where it usually is. all the time the light coming on and going off pulled up when i got to the bottom because there was no safe place to really pull up till then and sat for a bit, popped the bonnet. let it cool for a bit, just whgile i had a chance to think bout what was wrong, left it for a bit n thought it could be the brake fluid. checked it and it started over flowing, was probly a bit to hot so yeah, am i going to die a horrible death while drivng and not have any brakes? or was it just the brake fluid being a little low/ being to hot? while i drove home i had the bonnet popped and that seemed to keep it fine, no light no braking problems?

anyone got any idea what it was?

hot/low fluid? or something else?

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
I think with breaks it could me a multiple problem making your car go forward is no ware near as important as making it stop. Mate i would take it to a brake shop before something terribly bad happens

carra909

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
spongy breaks is usual caused by air in the lines, as air is compressible it feels spongy.
if it felt like your brakes were fine initially then you needed additional pressure to maintain then you could have a leak in your master cylinder. this may be evident by a leak of fluid and low levels or brake fluid. but as ur said it was full, it could be a faulty valve, returning fluid.

id say best and safest bet would be take it directly to your nearest mechanic.

i havent looked but would the owners manual say anything about the light coming on

Spargo

holden tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator (SEN87A), VT V6, 90' Laser EFI.
if you were on the brakes a lot, chances are you've boiled your fluid, causing it to expand and create small bubbles (air), this would cause brake fade and a spongey pedal.and because the pedal has gone to the floor, it's set the brake light off.

get your brake fluid changed and bled properly, and don't overuse the brakes...

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
not sure when the brakes were bled last so ill do it Thursday when i get paid, and im taking it to a mechanic to9day anyways just to be sure. :)