Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible Engine Problem In SS Thunder VEII 2011

Jon-256

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS Thunder
Hey guys,

So for the past week or so, whenever i first start my car (and by first I mean it only happens once a day) when i turn the car on, it almost "lags" or i guess Stutters before it starts. I've tried to record it and im not sure if you can actually here it in the video I have recorded, but im unsure if this is going to continue to be a big issue or should I just get it checked out by a mechanic?

heres the video! : https://youtu.be/xJ9CAICi04o

Cheers for any help you can give me!

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
G'Day,
Sounds like a battery going west to me.
Because it only happens once a day it suggests the battery is low on charge after being idle overnight. Whilst you are driving it though the alternator is continuing to keep it charged hence this happening only once a day.....

Once you start the car the alternator starts charging the battery back to where it is supposed to be. This charge will continue if the battery is fairly discharged but building up the charge sufficiently so that you don't experience. the problem again that day until the following day when the battery has discharged again overnight.

If you don't have a charger, go to your local Holden dealer and get the exact battery. You should pay around $120. Dealers have a high turnover so it's better than going to Kmart where they may have sat for 6 months and will be $145...

Your dealer should also give about an 18 month warranty. Go for the AC Delco brand at the dealership as it will be the best value. dealer batteries are as cheap as anywhere else and they will exactly fit your car......

Jon-256

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SS Thunder
Honestly never even thought it could be the battery, but that definitely makes sense to me. Ill definitely try getting a replacement and see how that goes, if that doesn't work then ill be back haha. Thankyou!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
650/720 CCA battery from century, power hungry ve's, battery usually 3 yr warranty, calcium type

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I'm not thinking battery at all. VEs have so many sensors and system checks that rely on battery voltage that when it starts to die you tend to get a shedload of errors up on the dash. That's usually the first sign of a battery or charge issue. At least get it tested before you fork out good money. And as the VE sucks the juice even when the car is off (something like 6 weeks standing will take a full battery to dead), I would get an upgraded one. Personally I run an Optima deep cycle battery and regularly charge it so that it'll last. Deep cycle batteries are more resistant to being run down, where a standard battery really doesn't cope with being drained too much at all. The deep cycle will also pump out more amps when it is at a lower state of charge. But without all the error messages, I doubt it is a battery issue. I do recall this issue from something (in a different car), but unfortunately can't think of it at the moment. Sorry.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Should have also added, check the voltage of the battery. Should give it 1/2 hour after running the car for it to stabilise. Multimeter or engineering mode will do. Check it again when running to check the charge system. Some models also have a battery capacity in the engineering mode too. (Hold left scroll wheel when starting or switching to on position if not starting to get engineering mode).