Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible gearbox issues? Normal?

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
Yes. I have searched. But may of missed it because i dont really know what i'm searching for.... So hear me out.

SSV, Auto, Series 2

When going up or down hill in sports shift, tapping my foot on the brake will cause the car to go from what ever gear it is in directly to 2nd. This only happens when going through the hills (Up or down)

Only happens in sports shift mode. Once in 2nd gear it has alot of problems getting out of 2nd gear (goes up to 3000rpm) then feels like changing. But tap my foot on the brake again, up to 4000rpm and in 2nd!

Here is a shocking video of it happing.
YouTube - Possible issue?

Is this normal? First V8 I've had and first "Sports Shift" gear box. Dont flame me too much.

Cheers

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Yes. I have searched. But may of missed it because i dont really know what i'm searching for.... So hear me out.
Dont flame me too much.

I flame someone in another thread and now people are putting up disclaimers ;).
Relax man, legitimate question.... and a good one with video footage at that!

I watched vid a couple of times, nothing seems to be out of wack to me.
Sports mode encourages the car to use 'engine braking'.... so the second you tap the brakes the car thinks you want to slow down and will assist you by selecting a lower gear.

How many k's on the clock? It's gotta be pretty low being an S2.

When I first got mine, I found that on the odd occasion a gear would stay in longer than I would want (under normal driving mode, just driving 'normally'). I'd be waiting for it to change and it wouldnt come until much later in rev range.
But this went away after a few thousand k's... and only really happened a few times. I know different issue to yours, but trying to explain how cars kind of 'settle in' when you first get them ;).

I wouldnt worry about it, but if you are concerned take it dealer to check out. But from what I can see on vid, looks/sounds normal for sports mode.

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Doesn't it have some sort of "racing mode" that you can get the gearbox into by tapping something, I can remember my Calais doing this but I never remember how it got there, it is described in the owners manual. To be honest though I thought it was a combination of accelerator tapping that activates it, but just giving sharing my thoughts in case it helps.

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
Thanks UFO, great post.

Got 9000ks on the clock. Had it for 2 months.

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
It all appears normal mate... Plus the 6 speed auto in the VE's is learns the way you drive so in time its going to get used to the way you drive etc... I know that mines does the same thing when going down a hill as its using the gears to assist with braking thats all... If you put your foot down on the gas it will upshift again....

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
Mine hangs on in 2nd gear even when not in sports mode. It will stay there for about 200 metres if I let it. I have to flick it to neutral, then back to drive. The car's like :idea3:.....oh yeah...3rd gear.

Luke V8

AKA Luke!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
It all appears normal mate... Plus the 6 speed auto in the VE's is learns the way you drive ...

Sorry to jump into the OP post - but in ref to this.. Is there a way of resetting this? If i remember correctly, in my BMW i could just hold down the brake (i think), start the car and it reset..

IceyAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Series II Sedan
I was going to ask the same question...