Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Possible problems with wax and grease remover?

Mini 62

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss crewman
Can anyone tell me what would cause very fine sanding scratches in primer to appear raised once painted. I used wax and grease, on with clean rag and off with another clean rag as per instructions.
It is acrylic paint (concept paints).
Could this be caused by wax and grease being still caught in the sanding marks when paint was applied?
How long should I wait after wax and grease before laying down paint?
It was resonably cool when I did the job and maybe there was some wax and grease residue left?
Can I just wet sand and then reapply paint to fix it.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I've used enamel paint on metal within 5 minutes of using Grease and Wax remover without any noticable issues many times.

This however was mainly on underbody components like sway bars and suspension components.

Have also done the same on brake calipers with brake enamel afterwards and not had an issue, Not sure about acrylic paint

Ayden450

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
I do some powdercoating at work and we use alot of that stuff . If you paint over wet wax and grease, it leaves a bubbling look and the paint will just flake off. So the wax and grease wasnt wet when you painted. Ive never used acrylic paint but maybe you used sand paper abit too coarse? or didnt apply enough primer after sanding ?

GiBbzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL RB30E
few things lead to this did u wet rub the panels because if u didnt primer dust bonds together hard on sand paper if dry and leaves a streak like effect ..where as wet rubbing from 400grit paper all the way up to 2000grit will leave no sign of it.. panels should be also blown off with a clean soft rag followed by prep washin it with two clean soft rags then one wet(prepwash) one dry and then blow all the car off with another clean rag then use a tack rag which has wax on it but isnt silicone based ...you gently wipe it over the car just before you paint...dont push to hard on the tack rag or it leaves wax on panel

Mini 62

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss crewman
A bit more info

I sanded primer with 400 w&d (wet)
I wiped wax and grease on with clean cloth.
I wiped wax and grease off with another clean cloth.
I wiped with a tack cloth.
There was no sign of any scratches on the panel at this stage.
I painted with acrylic paint.
Swirls and scratches appeared in a raised fashion not a depresion as scratches would normaly be seen.
I have use this method for the whole car with no problems.
I only have the problem with the latest 2 panels I have done.
The only differrences I can come up with is it was a bit cooler for these last panels. Which has made me think either the panels where not dry enough from the sanding or the wax and grease wipe?
Would that cause this problem?
I plan on wet sanding panels with 600 W&D and respraying again. I would like to find out tne cause so it doesn't happen again.
Whats your thoughts

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
concept primer fill shrinking or the colour biting into edges below it.
I know the problem your talking about i think its temp-related or I get too excited and make the first coat too wet.
I'm dogging myself in also in the hope that a real painter might tell us why this happens? (unfortunately real painters don't use acrylic too often any more).