Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Post your setup!

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
BAHAHAHAHAHA. No idea what the specs are, but I was just emailed a .pps of some random pics and this was in the show.

Would you sleep in this bed?

haha imaging humping away and that thing takes ya out to the back of ya head, nasty

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
haha imaging humping away and that thing takes ya out to the back of ya head, nasty

Haha, I dont think someone with that setup is going to be getting any in a hurry.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
haha havent u scored off the net? just block them when your bored of them/it

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Oh man, I just read your whole thread on whirlpool. That is insane. Im stunned at such a setup, its better then excellent. Bugger those who criticised it, its a hobby you get an enjoyment out of it, plus the knowledge you have gained would be priceless.

Unfortunately my hobbies mostly consist of computers and cars, both are expensive and i dont really earn that much :(.

Im currently still living at home, so living expenses are down. I worked hard for about 8 months saving every penny to build that server. I did cop a lot of crap from people saying its a waste etc etc, but the way i see it... I gained a lot of experience and knowledge building/working with PCs, as a result i currently work in IT in the city :).

So for the $15-20k ive spent on computers in the previous few years, its allowed me to start building a career, which is going to be worth a lot more than that in the future.

Now i feel stupid, but my budget for a server is around 500 bux minus hard drives. I dont like NAS' and would prefer to build one, more to gain knowledge aswell. I think i should be right building a basic system, but I never thought about power consumption, ill look into it and keep asking questions. Especially about RAID, is on board the easiest?

Nothing wrong with that, you have to sort priorities and computers shouldnt really be number 1.

Anyway, if you just want a server for $500 you'll actually get a lot of performance. As i mentioned above, you can build a decent server (good for torrents and file sharing) for about 200 or so. It wont need a monitor (just remote desktop from another PC).

Power consumption is something to take into consideration... A Quadcore setup with 9800GTX SLI can draw upto ~750w, which would cost you 11c/hour, which is almost $1000 a year...

I personally would stick to AMDs, they offer the best power consumption OVERALL. (Intel CPUs are about the same these days, but the Intel mobos use a lot more power due to their design, so including the mobo AMD are still a long way ahead).

So yeah, as a headless fileserver/torrent box a AM2 LE1200 ($38) will be more than enough, if your going to use the PC then its probably worth picking up a AM2 X2 4600+ ($71).

1GB of ram again is enough for torrents and fileservering, if your going to use it boost it up to 2GB.

Remember, you dont want to have your OS on your storage drives, or save torrent files to it (as this causes excessive read/writes which wears the drive. Get yourself a "thrash" drive, basically something crappy to download to. When the file completes, copy it to the storage disk/array)

Onboard raid (which is software raid) is ok, but is limited to Raid 0 and 1. RAID It also uses the CPU for Xor calculations if you use software raid 5 (meaning the CPU has to do a lot of work, this can slow down a system a lot, especially during rebuilds).

The other downside to onboard raid, is if your mobo dies you'll need to source the EXACT same motherboard to recover your array. So there are a few downsides.

With a hardware card, you simply plug it in and away you go. It does the Xor calcs and is not motherboard specific.

I have a spare version of XP pro, Server 03, and I did try using Kubuntu but my test computer couldnt run it lol. What do you think would be the best and easiest to set up, im in no rush, just want something effective, and not to hard to setup.

Well i guess its personal choice... Dont use Vista. Just dont. XP is probably my choice, as it can be stable if setup correctly and probably the easiest to get working with other PCs/media devices.

Not sure what your using the fileserver before, but if you download TV shows/movies (only legal ones of course) its worth investing in a network player... EG Mediagate Prices
Basically you plug them into your TV and they'll play media from your PC/Fileserver over network lan or wireless. Ive got 3 of em in my house, so family members can each watch their own TV shows simultaneously. (legal downloaded ones of course) Its 1000 times better than foxtel, as you choose what show you wanna watch, when and completely commercial free. Give it 5-10 years, and foxtel will be out of business.

If i was in your position id probably buy the following...

Am2 LE1200
1GB ram
Gigabyte S2 motherboard (onboard video)
Coolermaster elite 330
OS HDD ($40-50), something cheap second hand.
3 X 750GB Samsung SATAII Drives.

TOTAL cost, $533.

Format with XP, setup remote desktop and away you go. Basically then the server can sit somewhere out of the way (Garage etc). If you need to access it use remote desktop. Share the drives out with write permissions then map the drives on your local PCs. If your running gigabit at home its worth changing the motherboard to something with a gigabit network card.

Data transfer over 100mb/s will be about 7-9MB/s, over gigabit you should see upto 40MB/S. Honestly when i originally built my PC (although it was a gaming machine as well) i had to spend a fortune to get 2TB of storage ($1600 for drives, $400 for raid card). Now you can get 2TB of online storage INCLUDING the server itself for $500. Pretty impressive really.

If you spend $700 you could get 3.5TB of space, although you'd probably want to upgrade the case to something bigger/better.

Still, thats a hell of a lot of storage for very little cost.

When you get around to building it, drop me a PM. Ill help you out...

Cheers, Errol.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
toshiba laptop:
model number: psaf6a-06s01n

dual core processor
harman/kardon sound
hd dvd player
fingerprint scanner
2 touch mouse (has original pointer mover + click a button and it changes to audio control and shortcut board)

love everything about it except battery life. i get about 100 minutes on a full battery on power saver management.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Unfortunately my hobbies mostly consist of computers and cars, both are expensive and i dont really earn that much :(.

Im currently still living at home, so living expenses are down. I worked hard for about 8 months saving every penny to build that server. I did cop a lot of crap from people saying its a waste etc etc, but the way i see it... I gained a lot of experience and knowledge building/working with PCs, as a result i currently work in IT in the city :).

So for the $15-20k ive spent on computers in the previous few years, its allowed me to start building a career, which is going to be worth a lot more than that in the future.

Nothing wrong with that, you have to sort priorities and computers shouldnt really be number 1.

Anyway, if you just want a server for $500 you'll actually get a lot of performance. As i mentioned above, you can build a decent server (good for torrents and file sharing) for about 200 or so. It wont need a monitor (just remote desktop from another PC).

Power consumption is something to take into consideration... A Quadcore setup with 9800GTX SLI can draw upto ~750w, which would cost you 11c/hour, which is almost $1000 a year...

I personally would stick to AMDs, they offer the best power consumption OVERALL. (Intel CPUs are about the same these days, but the Intel mobos use a lot more power due to their design, so including the mobo AMD are still a long way ahead).

So yeah, as a headless fileserver/torrent box a AM2 LE1200 ($38) will be more than enough, if your going to use the PC then its probably worth picking up a AM2 X2 4600+ ($71).

1GB of ram again is enough for torrents and fileservering, if your going to use it boost it up to 2GB.

Remember, you dont want to have your OS on your storage drives, or save torrent files to it (as this causes excessive read/writes which wears the drive. Get yourself a "thrash" drive, basically something crappy to download to. When the file completes, copy it to the storage disk/array)

Onboard raid (which is software raid) is ok, but is limited to Raid 0 and 1. RAID It also uses the CPU for Xor calculations if you use software raid 5 (meaning the CPU has to do a lot of work, this can slow down a system a lot, especially during rebuilds).

The other downside to onboard raid, is if your mobo dies you'll need to source the EXACT same motherboard to recover your array. So there are a few downsides.

With a hardware card, you simply plug it in and away you go. It does the Xor calcs and is not motherboard specific.

Well i guess its personal choice... Dont use Vista. Just dont. XP is probably my choice, as it can be stable if setup correctly and probably the easiest to get working with other PCs/media devices.

Not sure what your using the fileserver before, but if you download TV shows/movies (only legal ones of course) its worth investing in a network player... EG Mediagate Prices
Basically you plug them into your TV and they'll play media from your PC/Fileserver over network lan or wireless. Ive got 3 of em in my house, so family members can each watch their own TV shows simultaneously. (legal downloaded ones of course) Its 1000 times better than foxtel, as you choose what show you wanna watch, when and completely commercial free. Give it 5-10 years, and foxtel will be out of business.

If i was in your position id probably buy the following...

Am2 LE1200
1GB ram
Gigabyte S2 motherboard (onboard video)
Coolermaster elite 330
OS HDD ($40-50), something cheap second hand.
3 X 750GB Samsung SATAII Drives.

TOTAL cost, $533.

Format with XP, setup remote desktop and away you go. Basically then the server can sit somewhere out of the way (Garage etc). If you need to access it use remote desktop. Share the drives out with write permissions then map the drives on your local PCs. If your running gigabit at home its worth changing the motherboard to something with a gigabit network card.

Data transfer over 100mb/s will be about 7-9MB/s, over gigabit you should see upto 40MB/S. Honestly when i originally built my PC (although it was a gaming machine as well) i had to spend a fortune to get 2TB of storage ($1600 for drives, $400 for raid card). Now you can get 2TB of online storage INCLUDING the server itself for $500. Pretty impressive really.

If you spend $700 you could get 3.5TB of space, although you'd probably want to upgrade the case to something bigger/better.

Still, thats a hell of a lot of storage for very little cost.

When you get around to building it, drop me a PM. Ill help you out...

Cheers, Errol.

Wow, thats heaps of great info. Thank you so much.
I tottally agree on building experience. I've paid out heaps on buying stuff just to try it out and learn about it, If i hadnt I wouldnt have the knowledge today.

I thought raid cards were expensive as alls hell, but had a quick browse and I should easily get a decent one for under 50 bux.
Next week I'll build up a prototype of what I want, useing an old computer and nut out any problems im going to run in to (expect questions :p), then ill start saving to build a decent server, If i can get raid to work cheaply ill go 2tb or close to.

With the network player, do i need to put another hard drive in that, or can i run it straight from the server through router to the tv? Is their anything abit cheaper that can do that?

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Wow, thats heaps of great info. Thank you so much.
I tottally agree on building experience. I've paid out heaps on buying stuff just to try it out and learn about it, If i hadnt I wouldnt have the knowledge today.

I thought raid cards were expensive as alls hell, but had a quick browse and I should easily get a decent one for under 50 bux.
Next week I'll build up a prototype of what I want, useing an old computer and nut out any problems im going to run in to (expect questions :p), then ill start saving to build a decent server, If i can get raid to work cheaply ill go 2tb or close to.

With the network player, do i need to put another hard drive in that, or can i run it straight from the server through router to the tv? Is their anything abit cheaper that can do that?

Those cheap raid cards will be software (meaning they'll use the CPU power) but can still be quiet effective.

That network player doesnt require a HDD, but can have one installed (great for taking to a mates place). You can get the MG35 for less (non wireless, no HD version). If your trying to do it on the cheap a Chipped Xbox has the BEST mediacentre function going around. You should be able to get your hands on one for under $100 (including chip and HDD). I Paid $120 for one a while ago with 4 controllers, 250GB HDD and a DDR pad :p.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Those cheap raid cards will be software (meaning they'll use the CPU power) but can still be quiet effective.

That network player doesnt require a HDD, but can have one installed (great for taking to a mates place). You can get the MG35 for less (non wireless, no HD version). If your trying to do it on the cheap a Chipped Xbox has the BEST mediacentre function going around. You should be able to get your hands on one for under $100 (including chip and HDD). I Paid $120 for one a while ago with 4 controllers, 250GB HDD and a DDR pad :p.

Ahhh Ok, How do I know if the raid uses software or is done on the card? What sort of price would i be looking at for a 3-4 port sata raid?

Now the Xbox is an idea, I think ill come back to this part later. Ill make the dummy server, plan the final one, start building, and get it setup by christmas lol.

Thansk for all your advice.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Ahhh Ok, How do I know if the raid uses software or is done on the card? What sort of price would i be looking at for a 3-4 port sata raid?

Now the Xbox is an idea, I think ill come back to this part later. Ill make the dummy server, plan the final one, start building, and get it setup by christmas lol.

Id have to do some more research... But one of the highpoint cards would still be my bet..

PCI HighPoint Rocket Raid 1640
PCIe HighPoint Rocket Raid 2300

They will give you hardware Raid 5, seem to be good cards. Ive got the 8 port versions of these...

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais

Dude

Most motherboards have RAID onboard these days. You could just simulate RAID using software on your test setup, and then when you buy your machine get a mb with raid.

I have used software raid for about 2 years and all is good. I had one drive fail and it rebuilt it no worries.

I will have to take a pic of my laundy setup and post it here, aircon and all :)

50LTRv8