Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit for new drivers

Nessie1996

Joel Ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lexcen - Buick 3.8L
To sum up what I wanna say: a lot of accidets these days are P-Plater hoons in over-powered cars. (not to say over-cautious hesitant drivers dont cause **** too) but the amount of commodores and falcons we find wrapped around trees in Aus is just silly. Thats why I ask the forums; do you think it would be an okay idea to put a kW limit on P-Platers? Perhaps around about 130-150kW MAX.

Don't rage me, I drive a VS S2 = 147kW. Therefore I would have had to forfiet the right to puschase and drive my car, but I really don't need the power that my car puts out at the wheels, and my car is piss-weak compared to the **** out on the road that I see with P-Plates on. I just think our infrastructure does not safely support the high-power cars we produce and love so much. So it is relatively unsafe to have brand spankin new drivers in high-power cars with out sweet f' all experience.

Thoughts?

Joel

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Limits are stupid. The first way to make someone WANT that, is to tell them they cant have it, then they'll do whatever they can to get it. Leave **** as it is, and teach people to drive (and thats not limited to P platers, theres plenty of people who are legally allowed on the road, yet can't drive)

Nessie1996

Joel Ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lexcen - Buick 3.8L
Then perhaps instead power limit licenses. Like motorcycles. you have a "Sub-100kW license" , "Sub-150kW License" and "+150kW License"?

Last edited:

Bremsoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
I disagree with the idea the problem is not the cars it's the drivers and the education of the drivers and also a lack of a place to drive like an idiot. The government needs to introduce supervised burn out pads and drag strips open to the public to let off steam or else nothing will stop them speeding or hooning on public roads

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
At the end of the day it doesnt matter how much power you have, YOU are controlling the car, if you cant control it your at fault you cant blame a high-powered car for lack of driving ability....

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
thats how it used to "work" in victoria for years. power to weight ratio, no more than 150kw per metric tonne. which meant that i was able to drive around quite happily in my turbo 180rwkw skyline cos' in stock form they were 153kw for 1260kg. all the cops could do was give you an EPA or canary.

so yeah, hence the quotation marks in use with the word "work".. it didnt. much eaiser for idiot cops to say "this is a turbo, therefore you cant drive it"

the answer to kids getting killed has nothing to do with the power of their car, as a corolla is still capable of 180kmph, its in letting kids take the riegns at 16, and drinking at 21. allowing them to drink and drive a car on the same day is f'ing stupid.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Nothing to do with the power, you can get a laser up past 150k's, even driving at a legal speed of 110 its easy to wrap yourself around a tree. As said, its the drivers not the car.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
1991 Holden nova 1.6L can make it to 180km/h, I think those things had about 80kw from the factory, so how's the power restrictions going to save you there? I think the best way to do it would be to make rego really REALLY expensive for cars older than 10 years, that way people are encouraged to ditch these old cars and find something newer and most likely safer.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
don't be cut cause your vs is a nugget, and you cant afford to buy something with balls.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
1991 Holden nova 1.6L can make it to 180km/h, I think those things had about 80kw from the factory, so how's the power restrictions going to save you there? I think the best way to do it would be to make rego really REALLY expensive for cars older than 10 years, that way people are encouraged to ditch these old cars and find something newer and most likely safer.

And then all the sensible people, that either want an older car or cant afford anything newer cant afford to keep a car rego'd... see that idea working