Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power run in 3rd or 4th whats difference

Tim-dietrich

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
I can't tell by that graph for a number of reasons mainly because it is not a real sensor log of pod vs OTR nor actually what your engine is making. ie the PC connected to the dyno calculates and graphs what your engine would make at 15.5°C and 0% humidity given the prevailing 25.2°C and 35% humidity.
But yes the benefit of an OTR is cooler air at speed, which is offset by hotter air in traffic - wider IAT variance - OTR vs pod temps may be +/- 20° for and against OTR vs stable and cool delivery via pod.
The 400lb Gorilla in the room is 12.0 AFR at peak RPM, like I mentioned previous that's leaving too much on the table for no good reason.
Would you say it should be more leaner why do you think hes done it to make it safer? He specializes in these cars he mentioned something about the weather being stinking hot and hes compensated for when the temps drop and it gets cold would that be why its got that afr in top end

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes it all can be watched in real time, i had the ss inductions intake on mine with iat sensor plumbed in down near the front right after the filter and a dyno run on low 30's deg day would heat it up into the high 40's to early 50 where the otr would stay within 5 deg of ambient

Tim-dietrich

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
yes it all can be watched in real time, i had the ss inductions intake on mine with iat sensor plumbed in down near the front right after the filter and a dyno run on low 30's deg day would heat it up into the high 40's to early 50 where the otr would stay within 5 deg of ambient
Wow thats quite impressive when you put it like that and its no wonder really where the pod style intakes suck from the factory location there is no way for fresh air to flow into it, i really would of thought holden would of put a duct next to the fog light in the honeycomb leading up to the inlet surely would have some positive results

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
They are usually tuned in 4th as it'sthe closest gear to being 1:1

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Jonathan is awesome, really knows his stuff. I paided $3200 today for a mafless and replaced the clutch fluid which looked dark.
Mines a manual, i put a VCM884 in. Sounds cammed but hardly shakes at all. Finished with 309RWKW. Very happy with the result.
If you are going to get a cam i wouldn't worry about the touch up tune.

Tim-dietrich

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Jonathan is awesome, really knows his stuff. I paided $3200 today for a mafless and replaced the clutch fluid which looked dark.
Mines a manual, i put a VCM884 in. Sounds cammed but hardly shakes at all. Finished with 309RWKW. Very happy with the result.
If you are going to get a cam i wouldn't worry about the touch up tune.
Mines a auto and from what i understand you can only go so far with the factory stall. I dont want to be running into that kind of stuff have to keep it streetable as possible.

Yes hes a very knowledgeable guy. There is nowhere else in the south island id take my car to.

Whats the economy like now and where abouts are you from did you do a long trip after it got tuned im in greymouth.

Still not 100% sure about doing the cam i really want to but its the same old thing when does it actually stop. When is it enough weve all been there. Ive had 300kw jappas and i bought a v8 commodore so i wouldnt end up doing it all again. Id say if i went for a ride in a cammed one id be sold haha

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
What do you think about your cam is yours auto or manual. He seems really good to deal with. What did your cam install cost he quoted me $3000 for cam,springs,pushrods,install and retune.

And just quoted me $250 for touchup retune after fitting otr but im unsure if spending $850 for otr and retune is worth it

They are usually tuned in 4th as it'sthe closest gear to being 1:1

Mines a auto and from what i understand you can only go so far with the factory stall. I dont want to be running into that kind of stuff have to keep it streetable as possible.

Yes hes a very knowledgeable guy. There is nowhere else in the south island id take my car to.

Whats the economy like now and where abouts are you from did you do a long trip after it got tuned im in greymouth.

Still not 100% sure about doing the cam i really want to but its the same old thing when does it actually stop. When is it enough weve all been there. Ive had 300kw jappas and i bought a v8 commodore so i wouldnt end up doing it all again. Id say if i went for a ride in a cammed one id be sold haha

I drove up from Timaru. There are a couple of other tuners around that can do what Jonathan does but unlike Jonathan you will horror stories about the other tuners. Hell other tuners send him cars that they can't sort. My fuel economy is roughly what it was pre-tune....a little more thirsty but thats all open road crusing, i suspect i notice the difference with around town driving.
Honestly, tell Jonathan what you want from the cam and tune and he'll sort you out. I asked for cam that would take me over 300RWKW, wouldn't shake the car much (wife approaved cam) but would still sound cammed. Thats exactly what i got yesterday.
In my old VY SS auto i went 232/232 and in all honesty that was a little to big for a standard TC. So just tell him what you require and he'll sort you out.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
@NU13 got a video bro? Like the one where the guy shows you the engine wobble balancing a bottle on the runners ;)
The highway economy should theoretically be around same or better at part throttle depending on driver enthusiasm / conditions, thanks to the later intake valve close point.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
@NU13 got a video bro? Like the one where the guy shows you the engine wobble balancing a bottle on the runners ;)
The highway economy should theoretically be around same or better at part throttle depending on driver enthusiasm / conditions, thanks to the later intake valve close point.

You mean the video that my favourite pirate put on youtube? :D
Yes i am going to do that video later today. Will post a link later.