Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering rack boot replacement

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Does anybody know if there is a how to on replacing a power steering rack boot for a vn commodore? Is it relativetly simple to do myself? Also, would driving my car about 30kms before it gets it alignment going to do harm to the wheels? Unfortunantly that is my closest Tyre service centre.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Not sure if this is the right way.

1. Put the front of the car on stands, do not rely on a jack.
2. Remove wheel.
3. Locate the tie rod end.
4. Count or measure the number of threads from the lock nut to the end of the thread. This is so you can keep the alignment fairly close.
5. Remove the split pin on the tie rod to arm nut.
6. Undo the tie rod nut but do not remove it.
7. Using two hammers break the taper by hitting the top of the tie rod nut and the arm. Don't get carried away and damage the thread or nut. Or better still use a tool to release the tie rod end.
8. Undo the tie rod to rack arm lock nut. Unscrew the tie rod from the rack end. Remove the lock nut.
9. Cut or release the boot ties depending on what has been used. The factory clips can be released and reused if they are still in good condition.
10. Remove the boot and clean the area.
11. Fit new boot.
12. Refit tie rod end and locking nut to the same point as measured previously.
13. Fit tie rod end to arm.
14. Tighten all nuts and fit split pin.

Now having said that, I actually unscrew the tie rod arm by rotating the rack end. That way I don't have to break the taper or undo the tie rod end to arm nut. I'm not sure if this is a good way but it has worked for me. I also grease up the rack just for good measure. Again I have no idea if this is good or not.

If you are super cheap you can do a reasonable toe in alignment using string and tape measure but that's another story.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thanks for your help. I will try today but i'll have a look at whats involved first.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Oh and thanks for your detailed step by step instructions, much appreciated :beer chug:

05 vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Hey sorry to ask can you clarify what you mean in step 7 as to the two hammers to break apart taper (I thought I would just undo the nut and tap the rack arm to pop it the tie rod)
7. Using two hammers break the taper by hitting the top of the tie rod nut and the arm. Don't get carried away and damage the thread or nut. Or better still use a tool to release the tie rod end.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You dont need to hit the tierod or rack with the hammer and i have no idea what he's talking about even needing two hammers.

All you need to do is undo the nut and then using one hammer :rolleyes: hit the hub assembly next to where the tierod bolts in. This will shock it loose.

You can leave the nut on a few threads so that it doesnt fall out all the way, or take it off. Your choice.

05 vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Cheers Sabbath,
I gotta do this on Tuesday so I've been watchmen lots of YouTube howto' s couldn't quite see exactly where they were hitting with only then one hammer ..

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hold a hammer on one side of the tie rod end as an anvil and hammer the other side . This often springs the taper loose.
If I have one available , I prefer to use a pivoted removal tool with a screw adjuster to pre load the tie rod end before hitting it-this always removes the end with minimal damage.
I normal punch a mark on the tie rod end and another on the arm to the rack and measure the distance . After replacing the tie rod end adjust the same distance between the marks. This is good enough to get the car to a tyre shop for a proper alignment.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When I remove a tie rod end, I loosen the tie rod nut, so it has no thread of the tie rod sticking through the top....A hit or two with a single hammer on the hub assembley, where the tie rod goes through and it falls out, using the tie rod nut to stop it hitting the deck.

To me 2 hammers are over kill and a tie rod removal tool splits the tie rod boot, therefore causing road grime to get into the ball section of the tie rod end and causing it to wear out quicker.