Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power steering rack hard to fit?

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Just wondering how hard it would be to fit a power steering rack. Also is it worth me just getting one from the wreckers? My mechanic quoted me 400 - 500 $$$ for a reco one installed.

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
make sure that your complete rack is stuffed first and its just not your pump or some seals that can be easily replaced. but if u have to put a whole new rack in they arent too hard if u do get one from the wreckers make sure its in good condition and it should just be a bolt in bolt out process aslong as u remember wat goes where or have a gregory's you should be fine

stretch

Just Commodores Shop
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Saloon Car
Power steering racks are not that hard to fit youself. We have them in the shop for $220 changeover and we can fit it for you for a bit extra. We are in the Croydon area of Melb. :wave:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
its a piece of piss to change a steering rack the hardest part is bleeding the sucker.
get urself a hold of a hayne or gregories manual and it will guid you through the bleeding process.(and the rest)

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
stretch do you have a phone number? what shop and are they reco or what. my mechanic quoted me 4 - 500

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
what are the signs that your power steering racks gone? ive developed a problem. after ive turned left it pulls to the left and after i turn right it pulls to the right. is this the power steering rack?
Nick

sorry to sorta hj your thread trewman.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Signs of mine were:

- No "assistance" when steering at all
- If I look at the thing is covered in grease & oil.
- My mechanic looked at it and said its rooted.

Thats enough for me

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I'm no mechanic but if there is no assitance when steering, I would have said it's the power steering pump?

If it was the rack I thought the steering is a bit all over the shop, wobbley kinda..?

Like I said, I'm no mechanic.

vpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec Wagon
yeh sounds like mines gone. it really keeps you on your toes on the highway. thanks
Nick

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
If a bush or ball joint is gone it'll be a bit erratic on the road as well... So get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion.
My bro's car has a screwy ball joint and it's getting to the point where the whole front end shakes at 60kmph. He refuses to fix it though...