Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power steering rack is leaking?

kitink

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx equipe
Last week, i had a service, the dealer said:" my 2001 VX euqipe's power steering rack is leaking". Is it a big problem? They said it is not a big problem? What your opinion? Is it expensive to repair it? Can anyone give me some suggestion?Thanks.

This is my first commodore. I really love it.- -

kitink

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx equipe
your looking at roughly $300 for a replacement rack and maybe 1.5-2.5hrs worth of labour. if its only a wet stain then its not a problem if its droppin fluid as fast as you fill it then its a problem.

Thanks, i did the service in BOSCH, they said it is not a problem, maybe it is just wet stain. Thanks for your help. They said it should spend $790...Damn Canberra....only few service centre here...- -

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
holey sh*t...$790!!! did they justify this price? i forget how much my rack cost no more then $350-400 (2 years ago) but labour was free as being a mechanic has its perks... but 790 seems a fair bit! also when doing a rack its always good to have wheel alignment as you have to swap tie rod ends to new rack.

HOLDEN COMMODORE VT VX VY VZ Power Steering Racks - eBay Steering Racks, Gear Boxes, Suspension, Steering, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Mar-10 22:52:33 AEDST)

ask them how much to "just fit the rack" and you can source your own.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Hmmmmm.....
Mine was the same, just a little leak, but enough to stop me parking it on concrete as it would leave a 50c size dot every time....

I got a few prices, and the worst was $1200....
Mine is apparantly a special rack, speed sensative and changes response depending on speed, maybe that's why its so expensive :-(

I kept topping it up with lucas stop leak, and yep, it stopped :)))

kitink

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx equipe
Hmmmmm.....
Mine was the same, just a little leak, but enough to stop me parking it on concrete as it would leave a 50c size dot every time....

I got a few prices, and the worst was $1200....
Mine is apparantly a special rack, speed sensative and changes response depending on speed, maybe that's why its so expensive :-(

I kept topping it up with lucas stop leak, and yep, it stopped :)))

Oh really, that's fantastic. But how can you do it? need any special tools?

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
No tools mate, Go to any auto store and get yourself a 355ml bottle of LUCAS Power Steering Stop Leak, about $12, then just top up your P/S Pump reservoir, do not over fill, it has a dip stick attached to the lid which gives you the correct level, if it has been leaking for a while, you will find that you may get half the bottle in which is great, otherwise, you can try to remove some of the existing fluid by removing a hose, or scooping it out with something.... as it leaks, you will find it will need to be topped up and this gives you the oportunity to get some more in. It is known to be a little hard on worn out Pumps due to it's viscosity, but if your pump seems fine, then it should be OK.....

It's a white plastic bottle with a little blue cap, easy to find.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
yeah its a very common problem with commodores, most of the time its just seeping out and u can leave it.