Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window stuck closed

Sullo4

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 acclaim
My drivers side power window is stuck in the closed position and just clicks when I try to open it. I have removed the door trim however the mechanism is in a tight position. How can this be repaired please

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the attached. Test the switch first (didn't know whether you had a low or high BCM) and if that is OK you probably will have to replace the regulator. Other members may be able to give you better advice.

Attachments

• 2.11 FRONT DOOR WINDOW AND REGULATOR ASSEMBLY.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • 2.18 FRONT AND REAR DOOR POWER WINDOW SWITCH - Low BCM.pdf
    389.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.20 FRONT AND REAR DOOR POWER WINDOW SWITCH - High BCM.pdf
    395.3 KB · Views: 104

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Have you checked the fuse and the fuse relay? I know you said it clicks, but if you look at your fuse panel you'll see that there are either three or four "fuses" there for the driver's window and for the electric windows (see pic), maybe just one of them is dodgy. Switch out the relay with one of the neighbouring ones just to test it.
Otherwise, you'll just need a replacement scissor arm thing. Mine stuffed up on my passenger side, but it got stuffed up in the open position and had to pull the door card off and manually reposition it and "unplug" it inside the door so no one accidentally opened it again. Been like that 18 months now. Stupid thing is, I have a spare, just not the time.
fusepanel.jpg

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Not sure if you have a manual, so here's the pages for the windows. Maybe use the removal/installation steps to just check it's sitting how it should be.

Attachments

• VT-VX-VY Windows.pdf
    902.8 KB · Views: 124

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Ive had that. Disassembled and rebuilt the front switch to remove oxidisation from the dry joints and crud that fell in, for a quick fix, but its tricky. I only did it to confirm the switch was limiting amps to the reg, which it was. Now I can confidently order a switch without fear of throwing money at the wrong part.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Checked relays and fuses with swaps first though.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
The switch design is the weak link in commodore windows for sure.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
get someone to hold the switch on and try and move it by hand in the direction you are wanting it to go, it will probably come loose. then wind the window up and down being sure to give it a bit of a nudge at any spot it appears to be sticking.

once it's moving up and down as freely as possible remove the door trim and lubricate moving parts lithium grease or lithium WD40 (NOT REGULAR OLD WD40 as this dries out). the tracks can be serviced with graphite powder.

All this is dependant on the switch operating correctly of course.