Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window troubles

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
Hey Peoples

Ive been having a problem with my drivers side power window, it goes down fine but when it comes to 'winding' them up it struggles. When I say struggles I mean it feels like it doesnt have enough power to go up. However if flick the switch a few times it seems to go up fine, other times I physically have to pull the window up.

Can anyone shed some light on what the problem maybe for me.

Cheers Scott

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
It could be the internal wire track has failed paths and is not allowing correct cable layout or the window seals are catching on the glass....

aZk.

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
Cheers Azk.:thumbsup: Ill have a fiddle tomorrow.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
i been having the same problem, my best guess was the power window motor on its way out?. then again my window seals arent on properly as water gets in so maybe thats a more reasonable theory

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey guys, I was having this same problem, it would take a few clicks on the drivers side window switch before it would actually register and go up. I think I have fixed mine though. I took my switch out, and took it all apart. I wasn't that surprised to see that the gold terminals that are used inside the switc were absolutely filthy, therefore making a connection near impossible. I just used my screw driver to scratch off the crap, and expose more metal, and it seems to be working fine so far :). I didn't have any coke in the house, but when I get some, I'll be taking theswitch apart again and dropping all of the gold thingo's into a glass of it, to completely clean them.

If you're still having problem I suggest you try cleaning inside as I did. If you don't know how to take apart your switch, I can post a rough guide as to how to, or if someone else gets a chance before me.

Hope this helps :)

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
The gold contacts you see on the switch helps make cleaner connections. The crud isn't dirt on the switch - its actually metal oxide from the metal underneath when the gold plate worn away. Your switch will still work when you scrape off the crud, but it won't last for long before you have to scrape more crud off your switch contacts, by then there might not be enough metal left on your contacts. You're better off buying new switches to replace the old one...its just life of going through wear and tear.

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
ACEMonkey is right, and what's more the crud is usually caused by sparking between the contact surfaces - window winders draw a bit of current, and when you break the contact (i.e. let go of the switch) the current tries to keep flowing and actually arcs a little bit while the switch is opening until the gap widens enough. All switches suffer from this, and the more current that flows, the sooner it's likely to wear out.

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
i have the same probs just tap the button and works fine just a lose wire is my guess