Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

powertrain warning on/off??

mtharv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 UTE
I have vz sv6 ute, occasionally when I start the car it shutters very noticeably and the powertrain warning comes on?? However whn I turn it off and turn car on again it's fine?
Any thought cheers

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Same with mine, its happened twice an i bought it in Feb an it only just happened to me the other day, im getting it checked out by holden in a week or two when i can book it in, my uncle is the general manager in the area so i know i wont get ripped off, if anyone has any info before then would be good, sorry about the sorta hijack mate

mtharv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 UTE
All good man, yeh keep us posted with what you find out it is very strange. Hope nothing to serious

Mattiboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 6ltr
Yeah same here I have a vz ss and every now and then the check power train light comes on took it to Holden and they said its my throttle body. Got it fix but its still doing it. So if u work it out would be good to know.

Brane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
I had the same msg on an off after i bought my vz sv6 in january and took it to Holden twice and they couldn't find the problem. Have even had the power surge on on and off a couple of times throughout the whole car including the engine and lights whilst driving which is a little scary. Dunno if it's related or not but no one can seem to find what's wrong. I changed the battery over a few months back coz it was flat which seemed to stop the Check power train msg (can't remember seeing it since) but it has been pretty annoying especially when no one seems to be able to find anything wrong the car and of course the warning msg never comes up when you show it to Holden or a mechanic

oscar03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY ss hothouse green
first thing would be to check the fault code but mine did the same thing and it was a split vacume hose, replaced it and it hasn't done it since. it was the one that plumbs in right behind the throttle body i would check that. also when mine came on and i put the foot down a bit it would dissapear might be worth trying as it could be an indicator. the codes mine came up with was left and right bank lean.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
For mine it was a stuffed front O2 sensor ... so you need to plug it in and check the codes rather than throw money at it trouble shooting.

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Mine has been intermittently on/off over the past few days... All signs point to the Oil Pressure Switch but that was only replaced early this year >.>

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Went to Holden, mine happened twice, an was when I was starting after I had started it a few times, turns out my is a stuffed fuel pump, still works fine when car running just doesn't start the best

beno1974

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I changed my fuel filter a few weeks ago (91,000km) and followed the directions (from this site) to remove the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay and start the car so it removes the pressure in the fuel line.
The car did not start with the fuse and relay removed so I found this tip to be useless.
After replacing the fuel filter (full of crud) I put the fuse and relay back in and then started the car.
As soon as the car was running the "Check Powertrain" message came up on the dash.
I stopped and started the car a few times to see if it would clear itself but it would not go away.
I then removed the connection to the Positive terminal of the battery and went for a cuppa.
Half an hour latter I went back, re-connected the battery and started the car.
Problem solved (for me).
I figure a drop in fuel pressure (very dirty fuel filter) or increase in fuel pressure (new clean filter) can result in the message "Check Powertrain" appearing and make the car want a "reboot" to re-calibrate the new fuel flow.