Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Preparations... burnout comp.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
VR 5L live axle automatic - this is my short list of things I need to do, for current modifications check my VR BT1 link..

AU twin thermo fans
Transmission cooler
Minispool (already have it, just need to put it in)
Line lockers (?) don't know much about these.

Car makes 202rwhp, don't want to embarass myself lol
Any suggestions will be taken on board :)
Sam

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Thats basically all you should need.

The line locker will cost you about $280 for a full kit, or 150 if you buy all the fittings etc separately.

If you plan on going to burnout comps regularly, might be worth fitting it with a switch in the cabin, so you don't have to keep taking it off every weekend.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah that's the way I'd get it done, if I need to. Wouldn't really need one right? Or would it make a massive difference?

Also, any hints and tips regarding burnout comps would be handy as I've never ever been in one before :p i.e. basics of gear changes, reversing if you have to, etc etc. Just burnouts for dummies, basically :) Went to Good Friday Burnout King at the motorplex last night, realised there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to do.

Sam

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
You will have trouble spinning the wheels with an auto with the back brakes still on. I did anyway.

Basics...
Take tools with you. Most people drop their exhaust at the headers, but not sure what type of pit arrangement you have there.

Spare tyres to drive home on, incase you blow the ones on the car.

With the gears, just let the transmission do the work. I doubt it'll go above 2nd tho.

On the pad, keep moving. Although they should tell you all this at the drivers briefing. They don't like static burnouts, as that damages the pad.

Last of all, don't worry about what other people say regarding your burnout, aloot of cars are trailer queens specifically built for burnouts, so a street car is never going to compete with those. Some people don't realize that.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
You really do need a line locker for burnouts (Comps). You run a higher chance of being laughed at and you will also damage your pads, discs not to mention the un-needed strain on your motor if you don't use one. Dont use ****ty retreads either they'l come apart in no time. Goodluck!

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
Yeah that's the way I'd get it done, if I need to. Wouldn't really need one right? Or would it make a massive difference?

Also, any hints and tips regarding burnout comps would be handy as I've never ever been in one before :p i.e. basics of gear changes, reversing if you have to, etc etc. Just burnouts for dummies, basically :) Went to Good Friday Burnout King at the motorplex last night, realised there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to do.

Sam

I was there last night there was some pretty sick skids. That Panel van that died put a rod through the block

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
haha unlucky for them!!

Plenty of 2nd hand tyres, will definitely have a few sets of spares.
I'm not sure on the rules for exhaust, I'll just leave mine on anyway, it's a twin 2.5" with dumpers, that'll make plenty of noise :)

Should I beef up the cooling system at all apart from what I already listed in post #1?? And you just leave it in 3rd position hey? I know power mode won't matter above 80% throttle anyway... Anything else I can do to try to avoid some of the more common problems?? Pump the throttle or just leave it stuck on the limiter? Bearing in mind my motor is internally stock :s

Thanks for the info guys,
Sam

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't hit the limiter.

Just keep the revs around 5000, no matter what gear your in.
The thermo's should be fine, you only get a few minutes anyway.

Leave it in 2. Don't feather the accelerator, you can really only do that in a manual.

And your car wont make much noise to the crowd, depending on their setup. I heard a video of my car on the pad, from the crowd in the pits, and you could barely hear the car.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
yeah well that's how I like it :) I'm not really a fan of making noise just for the sake of it, IMO some of the better sounding cars at Burnout King were the ones still running some exhaust system. That and my dumpers will blow smoke everywhere just nicely :)

Thanks for ur advice Stealthy, I was hoping you'd have something to say when I started this thread!
Sam

tanka5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq
dont take off the clutch fan to run thermos, the clutch fan is better. isolate your rear brakes with whatever method suits you, and as for the burnout before you go out think about wot your goin to do out there.
make smoke!!