Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Private School Vs Public School

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
i agree on the it depends on the child theory. if the child is going to ignore the university option id be public school all the way, how ever if you want to do everything you can do id go private..... the rest is upto the child and teachers

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Maybe so, but in a private school you learn the difference between whether and weather. ;)
Pfft you learn that in public schools too. I know people that went to private schools that don't know the difference between whether and weather, where, wear and we're, which and witch, their, they're and there and the list goes on. However knowing correct spelling and grammar isn't necessarily proof of intelligence

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I agree, it shouldn't really matter if it's public or private, the kid will make the most of their education regardless if they want to learn and better themselves.
Personally for me, didn't matter if it was public or private school for me, i was going to be a pain in the ass regardless of where i went.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Maybe so, but in a private school you learn the difference between whether and weather. ;)

ohh damn LOL and I went to a private school as well!

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
Time for Jonesy to properly give my two cents.

I went to a state primary school then an private secondary school. When i moved to the private school in year 7 it was very apparent who had been at state primary and who had been at private. The private school students 1. showed alot more respect to the teachers. 2. they were much more knowledgeable than the state kids in terms of science and humanities.

Private school can be seen as babying students, and yes it is true to a point. we are given the resources and means to learn effectivly, and if we got something wrong we were shown where and why we went wrong.

We were "forced" to do extra work not in the normal course work. and forcfully encouraged to do extra essays ect. and told to always strive to excelence.

And that is why privates schools have a higher tendency to get higher enter scores. it turned d grade students in year 9 into 95.00 enter score at the end of year 12. the results.

As for "well we can't afford to send our student to private school its not fair. state school should receive the same education" yes its true but people have no right to bitch about 'better off' families for sending there kids to expensive school. I have received abuse from random parents on the tram because we went to a private school. At the end of the day its all about the government.

As for Government funding and private schools don't deserve it. Majority of funding private schools get is for buildings. And it all comes down to planning and planning permits. Schools that say to the government give me money cause we want to build a new building is gonna be turned down by them for lack of plans and designs. Private schools always have plans in the works for new buildings and upgrades and because of those plans they get put up the list cause they can show what the money is going to towards.

thats my long 2 cents :)

Cheers Jonesy

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
We were "forced" to do extra work not in the normal course work. and forcfully encouraged to do extra essays ect. and told to always strive to excelence.

And that is why privates schools have a higher tendency to get higher enter scores. it turned d grade students in year 9 into 95.00 enter score at the end of year 12. the results.

i dont remember being "forced" into other stuff at private school.
it was more a case of. heres a superb opportunity. either use it, or its your own fault.
same with extra "study" stuff. which because of subjects i did, i only had a "finish off this" or "write this on this"
or in the case of folio subjects, you could work on it if you wished.
i still dont see the point behind 3-4hrs study a night in yr 12. as halfway through the year i could see alot of people were burned out badly

the reason behind higher scores (in Vic anyway) is the "harder" subjects get marked up as such.
if you ever see the people who get the highest scores the subjects they do are much harder, but the markings are boosted aswell.
where as alot of more "fun" or "easier" (tbh they arent easier, alot of people doing the "harder" subjects wouldnt know how to construct things in woodwork for example) get marked down. which is a massive joke.
i know at my school they want people to do the "harder" subjects. as it will mean better scores.
which i find totally wrong, it shouldbe a level playing field all round.
who says Woodwork (designing and construction) is easier then say Psychology?
you obviously havent tried to handmake dovetails to absolute precision.

overall the whole public/private debate aint a good one.
not only does it require the great student imput it requires teachers who can teach well.
having a great teacher can make all the difference, between "yeah i get it" (when you dont) and "i actually do understand that".
only way to find out is ask the kids that actually go to that school.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i agree with clair that there is advantages to enrolling your kid in a private school (my 2 were). its only an advantage if they want to be there and learn something though. with the amount of missed days my 2 had, for me it was a waste of money. each of my kids had over 50+ days a year missed of school for one reason or another.

now that my oldest stepson is graduated from high school it turns out with the heart problems he has, he is now going to have to collect disability payments and need assistance with from a government agency to find a job that will suit his condition... public or private has to be judged case by case and if its right for you. im a public school kid myself and like other comments on here, i dont think it matters public or private for some, your either going to excel and live as a productive member of society or not. some people need more attention than others....

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
i dont remember being "forced" into other stuff at private school.
it was more a case of. heres a superb opportunity. either use it, or its your own fault.
same with extra "study" stuff. which because of subjects i did, i only had a "finish off this" or "write this on this"
or in the case of folio subjects, you could work on it if you wished.
i still dont see the point behind 3-4hrs study a night in yr 12. as halfway through the year i could see alot of people were burned out badly

Yeah the reason i used " " around the word forced was not because we were actually forced but because it was frowned apon if we did not do it.

I have decided to revive the thread after overhearing a customer at work yesterday.

She was talking to a old friend who she randomly pumped into, this woman had a child maybe 4 months old. She was going on about she already had the childs name down at 6 secondary schools. I will not name the schools but they were high end private schools in the inner eastern suburbs.

I think its a joke that some schools require children to have there names down at birth. i know one school has done it for a long time. but whats the point??? isn't it all money??? you are gonna turn away a student because he/she wasn't down at birth??

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
They don't require it. It's a simply problem of supply vs demand. There are far more students who's parents what them to attend than there are places. Think of it more along the lines of waiting in line to get a spot at the school. The sooner you're in line, the better!

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
Most people i've met that went to a private school have their heads stuck up their arse and think they are to good.
If you can afford it, whatever, go nuts, just a warning, you child will be a cnunt and alot of people will wanna slap them.