Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with Reverse Sensors with tow bar fitted

C

crewiess

Whats involved - book it in, take it down and then stand over them with a lump of 4*2 to make sure they do the job.;) ;) ;)

Seriously could not live without the parking sensors on the crewie especially when the racks on the lid are loaded up!

calaiscruise

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Calais VYII Gen3 5.7L V8 + Impco Sequent LPG
Muzza,

I also had the same problem with my reversing sensors going bonkas, if I hook up my trailer and reverse. Mine is a genuine holden heavy duty hitch & reciever, the manual says that it automatically disables if a trailer plug is inserted (I wondered how, until ready someone's explanation earlier, using a read switch in the plug).

It seems my plug "reed switch" might be faulty (i checked my factory installed "Lumen" brand :my: trailer plug, and it does have a tiny sqaure magnet inside the lid, which suggest the reed switch activates when the lid moves), I will have to fault find it. There is an extra connector (near the tailight) labelled "VY trailer redd switch", so it must have the ability.

I normally remove my hitch from the receiver, and only insert it when towing, that solves it for non-trailer driving.

btw. whilst I agree with others that we should never rely on RPA (reverse park assist), it's an extra backup to hitting something, and as (sadly) NRMA recently noted the VY-VZ commodores rating worse than some 4WD for rear visions, I'm glad my VYII has it. I even want to install a reversing camera ... soon it will probably be law on new cars anyway.

T

ternel

junka said:
I have one of those heavy duty removable tow bars fitted to my car. When I put the car in reverse, the reversing sensor system sounds off with a continous tone :ranting: because it is picking up the towbar in close poximity. Is there anyway to stop this, as I still want the reversing system to function with the towbar fitted. According to the VZ vehicle manual it says that the reversing sensor system can be adjusted by the Holden dealer to compenstate for the towbar. Has anyone had this done and what does it involved ?

:hit: In your owners manual it says to remove the carpet in the boot (right side) there's two single wire connectors, one white and one black. I think from memory that you need to disconnect the white wire when you've got a hitch attached.. When the black wire is disconnected it turns off the park assist completely.

junka

MUZZA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equipe VZ
Reverse Sensors with tow bar fitted

The latest with my tow bar problem is that I removed the third party trailer electrical harness and replaced it with the genuine Holden one. Now when a trailer is connected, the reverse sensors are turned off. According to the installation instructions for the harness, the disconnection of the white connector in the boot will increase the continous reverse tone distance from 30 to 45 cm to clear the tow bar. However, my after market tow bar is 1 cm longer than the genuine Holden one, and as such just trips the reverse sensors. So I was faced with replacing the tow bar with a genuine Holden or buy another tow bar which is shorter, cost about $90. Then, I thought all I have to do is absorb the sound waves at one point, ie. at the tow bar ball. So I got a plastic ball cover and glued some sound asorbing material I got from Jaycar Electronics over it. Hey presto, it works ! The reverse sensors still work as advertised, except they don't see the ball. A cheap solution to a problem and still a lot cheaper than a genuine Holden tow bar all up :w00t:

I have included a picture.

Attachments

• DCP_3508.JPG
    DCP_3508.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 2,284

theautomationguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman Cross 6
The ultrasonic field behind reversing sensors is a balloon shape. If you can mount the sensor a bit lower or a bit further back this should solve your problem. You cannot mount them too low as it will squark by detecting the road. I fitted sensors to my aftermarket Chrome bumper/ towbar & ran into the same problems. I find them a bit useless as they only detect up to 300mm them they go on full squawk & 0 distance registers. I can get the thing to 300mm without sensors. Was hoping that they would measure down to 25mm - 50mm when you are squeezing it in. Having a Cross 6 ute does not give good rear vision. Anyone know of reversing detectors that measure smaller distances.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
This is out of my manual.....VZ AWD Adventra and cross 8 handbook.

Disabling the RPA
On some occasions you may wish to turn the RPA off to prevent the constant warning tones while reversing,such as when a bicycle rack is fitted to the tow bar (a bycycle may be recoginsed as a close object by the RPA.)To turn the RPA on/off,proced as follows:
1.Ensure that the engine is turned off.
2.Open the tailgate and carefully remove the right-hand light trim cover with a flate blade screwdriver.
3.Locate the black harness conector mid way along the RPA harness.
. RPA off - disconnect the black harness connector.
. RPA on - connect the black harness connector.
4.Install the rear light trim cover and close tailgate

Tow Bar
Same procedure as above
. Tow bar fitted - Disconnect the white harness conector.
. Tow bar removed - Connect the white harness connector

I use the Disabling the RPA method when I attach my tow bar.And its not a genuine one its off my old cruiser,
I know this is in a wagon but it might be worth a look?

steve

due to my towbar tongue size enabling depth from 30-40cm does not work. here is the wiring diagram for a 5speed automatic. i removed the Dark green and onrage wires from the processor hoping this disabled the two middle sensors. this made the error signal and didnt help. perhaps someone else knows more. failing this i disconnect the black harness connector and disable system all together or remove the towball tongue.any thoughts?

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
update. i was unable to overcome the issue with the RPS. The tow-ball sticks out way to far. i disconnected the black connector and disabled the system. i also had an issue with the speaker for the system , while i was putting up with continuous beep while reversing, i was experiencing a high pitched intermittent noise while driving. after disabling the RPS that noise went away and hasn't returned.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Woah....epic thread dig is epic.