Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problems with acrylic paint

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
could be as simple as not having a good enough desiccant dryer attached to the compressor. little bits of moisture can come out of the airline causing the blisters to pop up months later. also theres some brands of 1k primer that dont do very well with wet rubbing. the structure of the primer and its chemical make up is what holds the moisture. ive heard of it happening to some primers years ago but never seen it in person. think stuff like that would have been refined by now with all the new technology always coming out.

id be chalking it up to moisture from the compressor...

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
^^^+1 for this. Hi Ryder, you are my new favorite paint guru.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
^^^+1 for this. Hi Ryder, you are my new favorite paint guru.

happy to give advice anytime to anyone...

like anyone, alot of what ive learned has been from making mistakes, and with painting theres a million ways to skin a cat. the list of what not to do is 100 times longer than the do's. my M.O. is all about the best off the gun finish with the highest longevity possible, if you can pull some tricks to save time without jeopardizing anything thats a bonus.

i might post up this vs statesman im going to paint next week. its a scratch vandal/PDR hail job, its all rubbed and ready to go, i just have to finish prepping bars and other parts. getting shot with standox...

garth7777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
yeah thanks mate ,, handy little web page ..... as i said earlier there doesnt seem to be any blisters at present, but what will appear down the track , so its either take the risk and see what happens or take it all off and start again this time i would use epoxy primer followed by iso free 2k primer and iso free 2k top coat or maybe acrylic lacquer top coat ..still hashing it over
what is the best course of attack

garth

Trapped under Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR acclaim
Were you giving the proper flash times? If its Acrylic and layed on heavy coats it could be the thinners evaporating.

garth7777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
no the car was actually painted in about 4 different sessions to allow the solvent to escape 2 coats applied then rubbed the next day and left for aweek than 2 more coats and so on till the required number of colour coats and clear were achieved there has not been any more come up but still dont trust it long term .... i would say it is the old paint or possibly as the boys said
maybe moisture in primer it was sitting around for afew months in the weather at times as well might strip it and redo it in
iso free 2k any thoughts

garth

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Never tried iso free 2K but I hope you try it and give us a report :)

garth7777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
thanks dakster

i have used it on a boat i sprayed and it came up great but that was only 12 months ago and it has not seen a a lot of work. so i dont know how its dureability is . hard to find much imfo on it any where , some say its not a lot better than
acrylic some say its great i will definantly be useing an epoxy on the bare metal and than a hi build iso free 2k on top of that as for top coat the jury is still out iso free 2k or acrylic lacquer trying to find out more imformation although it is used in the industrial market and marine market so you would think it would last its not overly exspensive you can get a 5 litre kit for around $140 - $170plus $35 FOR 4 LTRS OF THINNER TO SUIT. SO ITS NOT REALLY ANY MORe EXPENSIVE THAN ACRYLIC
maybe even cheaper considering 4ltrs of acrylic you need 4 ltrs of clear and 12 ltrs of thinner to suit
so its probably heaps cheaper and in the end its still a 2k product ( chemical drying ) not not a solvent based product like
lacquer

garth

garth7777

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
dakster how do you find acrylic lasts on a daily driver a couple of years or so

garth