Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with brake upgrade install

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Trying to install a VT front upgrade on my VP. Kit is from upc.online. 2 problems:
1. can't get the shoes that clip to the side of the caliper away from the pistons into the caliper. They just don't quite seem to fit. I've got the centre clip in place but the lugs on the end of the shoe won't quite line up with the corresponding housings on the caliper.
2. I seem to have 2 left rotors. I believe the ventilation slots are meant to throw the air OUT as the wheel rotates forward, NOT scoop the air in. In any case I have 2 identical rotors whereas I believe the direction of ventilation slots should reverse.
Anyone shed any light?
I am waiting on a response from upc and will keep you all posted

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely sounds like they sent you the wrong rotor for one side.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "shoe"? are you referring to the brake pad maybe?

The little spring in the center of the pad that sits in the side of the caliper load up the brake pad into the slots in the caliper to stop the brake pads from rattling. Sometimes they can be quiet hard to get in.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Is the caliper there "rebranded" UPC one? (milled down on top and "UPC" cast into it)
Check with google images its not a VE caliper. I had heaps of dramas fitting the pads into my VE ones due to the "anti rattle" clips

May even be worth checking the pads are the correct ones too.... Know any mates with a VT?

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Take a pic of pad with the bendix app.
It will tell you if it's correct or not.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've just done the vt upgrade on mine including the master/booster and it's awesome. Certainly haven't had any of those problems. I used original VT calipers and QFM pads

Pics of all components would help

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
thanks guys for the replies. I have managed to get the pads (yes, I did mean pads earlier) into the calipers. They are a bitch to get installed. I wouldn't cut it in pit lane at Bathurst!
I am also doing the VT master and booster, tomorrow I hope. I've got the modified bracket ready (thanks markovr for blazing the way) along with MC and booster.
The rotors are weird cos they are slotted and the slots are mirror images of each other but the ventilation openings, which I thought were the real determinants of which side the rotors should go, are identical, not mirror images. A mate who is helping me (neither of us would cut it at Bathurst but we get there eventually) reckons it will still ventilate out cos of the centrifugal force from the spinning wheel but I do reckon they have sent me an incorrect part.
Still waiting to hear back from them but I only emailed through ebay late this afternoon.
Again, thank you, and I will let you know how I go.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. pads are a doddle to get into VT calipers !!

everyone tries to do it the hard way.. blood broken nails and curses a sailor don't use
are usual :(

easy way? undo the caliper bolt up top and tilt the caliper body away from the rotor
remove old pads (either from caliper or rotor) then place new pads on rotor and bring caliper body down on top of new pads
(pads clip go OUTSIDE of caliper body)

put bolt back and do up... total time 3-4 mins a side and you are done!

bolt seen here (note when in place ONLY undo the TOP bolt even though there are 2)

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Sounds like the same problem I had with a brake upgrade off ebay seller, will have to look up name, the slots were ok, but the inner vanes on the left side were facing the wrong way, which caused that rotor to smoke up if extended braking was done.

Was Mr Spares which I think is now called UPC something.
This was actually for the 330 mm upgrade, which always left a 5mm lip on the pads after time, and was only this year after talking to Hopper Stoppers that I realised the rotors were 325mm so two strikes against them.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Whilst were banging on about UPC, how do the bolts that they supplied for the caliper onto the mounting bracket look?
I snapped one after a few weeks of having my kit installed, however I did have the 343mm front kit.

Scary part was I hadn't even done any heavy braking.....
Took the non snapped bolt to the local bolt shop and bought the highest tensile ones they had in the same size. Never had anymore problems until I sold the car.

UPC were pretty good about the whole thing - offered to replace and reimburse - but I was happy the problem was sorted and I'd given them a "heads up" for their suppliers.

Not being a cnut gets you further than being a massive one.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I didn't get bolts with the kit. I just replaced replacements at $14 each from local engineering supplies. i am re using old ones. I figure quality control was better back then anyway. I've only got 296 rotors