Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

problems with head after replacing gasket

agg609

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice 1998
hey i have been working on my mates 97 model vs calais 5L it had a leaking inlet manifold gasket and was running really doggy i pulled it apart to change it i bought a full vrs set and when i pulled the left head off the back 2 cylinders were full off coolent so i dryed them up put on the new head and manifold gasket but the car is still running like a real dog when you try to bleed the radiator it throws the water back out and the exhaust manifold on the left head gets really hot really quick. what is wrong can any1 please help????????

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Maybe blocked cat.

agg609

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice 1998
i will have to go and check that.the cats aren't very old do they stuff up much or would the water have wrecked it?
when i was putn the head back on if it was warped would i have noticed do you think?

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
If they are alloy heads, as soon as you pull them off 9 times out of 10 the warp just a little.
if that's the case get them machined at a machine shop as it saves so much heart ache!
I hope that helps.:)

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
You wont notice a warp in the heads. Its usually a very small amount. But can affect the seal. Get a straight edge and feeler guages to check for a warp.

agg609

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice 1998
You wont notice a warp in the heads. Its usually a very small amount. But can affect the seal. Get a straight edge and feeler guages to check for a warp.

so if they were warped it would have these issues?
it doesent have alloy heads just standard ones.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Cracked head?
Was it crack tested when it was removed? (there were cylinders with coolant in them, correct?)