Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with the Thermostat?

Davidcoolaye

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
I had the same issue with my VX V6 a couple of weeks ago, only my temp gauge would go right up to hot mark and start beeping when i was stopped at lights or going through drive through. At first i thought it was the water pump getting old at 220,000kms but i wasn't sure so i asked the boys at my work, they said replace the thermostat see how it goes some said replace the radiator cap. I had replaced the rad cap 1month ago so i just threw a new thermostat in because they are like 9 bucks tops for genuine so why not. Still had the same problem so i asked my friend at holden if i could borrow a brand new temp sensor for the ecotec to see if that was my issue. Put it in only took about 10 minutes and done, problem solved never had a problem since. Hope that is the same problem for you because they are cheap and easy to put in. Good luck mate!

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 3.6 V6 Alloy-Tech
i took it for a quick spin today and fluid still travels through the upper radiator hose, so the thermostat must still be working, but yeah hopefully when i get the temperature sensor replaces, should be dandy

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
On the alloytec, the thermostat is on the inlet side instead of the usual outlet side - so the fluid coming out of the top hose can still be hot without the thermostat opening I guess.

misdirection101, out of interest how oftern has the coolant been changed?

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
been topped up quite abit lately, but i'm not sure when exactly the coolant was changed

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
i would assume it's not a coolant problem if the gauge continuously goes up and down

aquatribal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ berlina wagon
hey everyone.
i have just experienced the same issues with my cooling system on the 175 allotec vz. one night in traffic the temp gauge and thermos went nuts a few times (in slow traffic),pulled over and the engine was quite cool ????? i got back on freewaY and everything went back to normal, temperature etc.(there was no loss of permformance may i add) when i got home,there was no coolant..and white goo on the oil cap, way more than just condensation.took the car to the mech the next day and 2480 dollars later ALL the gaskets in the cooling system, changed.heads removed and sent away for crack test, maching etc. they came back good thankfully,total engine flush and water pump was gone as well. 5 leaks during preesure test.it was like a fountain :( (i changed thermostat while i was having work done, to costly if it fails as well later on). even though i looked after my car well, and had it serviced when needed,check oil and water every week, i wasnt flushing the system enough, and probs not using the most suitable coolant for the alloytec :(. the coolant turns slighty acidic after 12 or so mths and eats everything slowly. the wrong coolant is , from what i hear and read, the cause of most premeture cooling system failures......

spose its a little like a human, not enough good liquid in it and it will slowly die....

good luck :)

aquatribal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ berlina wagon
the problem also, may i add, with the gaskets is that they are shim gaskets. this means there is multiple layers (3) i think, and the layers seperate when/if the coolant is contaminated, allowing water to leach into places it shouldnt be.....doesnt seem like a good gasket to choose but im sure some has logic to its use...like CLEAN YOUR COOLANT OUT MORE OFTEN, i hate logic...its always right...:p

collos69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
same problem with me just after i installed an ss induction kit on it.

is there any temp sensors around the CAI? and where abouts are the temp sensors on the vz v6?

or is there any sensitive areas where if knocked coupld cause something like this?

appreciate any reply.

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
turns out all my over heating problems stems from busted heads.... i don't think the guy who had it before me took very good care of it :(. recently started pumping out alot of white smoke when the engine was running and has gotten worse over time. the engine ends up burning a lot of the coolant, which is why i always end up topping it up constantly. i'm getting a low km, second hand motor installed hopefully soon. mech reckons its gonna cost around about $4400 to get done.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
daaaaaayyyyuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm