Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Peanut - Budget Build VT Berlina

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute, VT Berlina, Cruze SRi-Z
Many people find that when they put this on they just end up with idle problems unless they've had it tuned with the T/B.

That's right, that's why I've already picked up a memcal with a tune to suit the larger throttle body.

rch-13z

Former Photoshop Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.karcreations.com.au
Members Ride
VT Exec
Good honest project, I know a heap of stuff off mine came from wrecks that mates have been ready to move on & good value ebay buys...

With the twin exhaust, I believe (and I really hope I'm right) I believe the L67 twin cats instead of the Y piece will fit the LS1 mid section perfectly!

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
Long overdue updates...

Have been overseas since my last post plus just lots of stuff going on generally, mainly with my ute getting it ready for the Summernats just gone. But now I've had some time over over Xmas and January, I've been focusing a bit more time on this one.

Had some new kicks put on... the old supers that I'd replaced on my ute.

DSC_0333_zpsf92buorq.jpg

Then I spent what seemed like days installing the front splits, rear door speakers and the two amps. While I was at it I laid the doors, parcel shelf and under the rear seat with some PingJing sound deadener. Definitely sounds crispwe than the old factory stuff, but there is a distinct lack of bass. Subs may be on the cards later on down the track.

DSC_0351_zps36igme6i.jpg

Finally to round out last year, I picked up a new driver's side door handle for $15 to replace the one that had all the paint chipped/worn off, plus some thin chrome trims in decent nick that I picked off a wreck for $40.

DSC_0368_zpsj6loekcn.jpg

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
So far since I've been on holidays this month after getting back from the Summernats, I've done the following:

1) Installed the VY leather steering wheel. Fortunately it was a fairly straightforward process.

DSC_0477_zpsreeb5gcp.jpg

2) Got the wire wheel and got rid of the surface rust off the Pacemakers I'd bought a few months ago for $200, and the LS1 cats and HSV exhaust I'd picked up. Spent a whole six hours doing this! You definitely need plenty of patience for this sort of work.

DSC_0479_zpsznkhd2rn.jpg

DSC_04801_zpsyj4vqozf.jpg

Then it was onto painting in high-temp paint, which took two half-days:

DSC_0481_zpsp9cfoofw.jpg

Car goes in tomorrow to get it all fitted. Not sure how it'll sound; hopefully despite it essentially being a stock HSV exhaust (albeit more free-flowing then the standard gear Holden put on L67s/SSs) it will give a nice note that's also a bit louder than standard, without being as loud as an aftermarket 2.5" single.

Speaking of single catbacks, I never wanted a 2.5" single that sounded like a wet fart, so I chose to go this way hoping it would give me something that sounded nicer. The fact that I picked the gear up cheaply helps. Going twins was always a shits-and-giggles experiment; hopefully it pays off!

3) I prepped the plenum I'd bought earlier last year by cleaning out all the built-up crap and oil residue. Started off with degreaser and a wire brush, before moving onto a wire wheel to clean up the rest. I'll eventually get around to sanding and polishing it up.

DSC_0490_zpstxno2m02.jpg

DSC_0491_zpsy5czlwxy.jpg
[/URL]

4) Finally, pulled apart some Monroe struts and fitted then with some Pedders SL springs, ready to go in when I get an opportunity.

DSC_0485_zps75bgbpkw.jpg

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Great pick ups mate, it'll look good once lowered, and make sure of an exhaust vid when it's fitted up ;)

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i got the car back from getting the exhaust done, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I'd hoped it'd be louder... While the note has clearly changed and is now deeper, it is still pretty quiet, especially at idle. You can't hear anything in the cabin unless you gun it, and even then it's more of a dull roar.
Here is the vid, although I think it is quieter than the vid would suggest:

VT V6 w/ Twin HSV 2.25" exhaust

All in all, while I was never aiming for stupid loud like a lot of V6's running 2.5" singles; but I wanted a nice note that was noticeable on the road, though not overly so. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it with this combo. I'm now considering whether its worth changing the stock rear resonator for something like a hot dog, or even getting straight pipes for the rear section.

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
Picked up these puppies for a steal on the weekend - $140!!!

c9e212cc-f656-4575-a082-98d8946025ac_zpsn55w4ngn.jpg

One light has some reasonably deep scratches, which I'll clean up some wet-and-dry, and both need high and low beam globes, which I've ordered (another $44). They were also bought as separate items, all of these factors contributing to the price.
Hopefully the globes arrive in time for the weekend so I can put them in :-D

Last edited:

dr364

The Dollar Dazzler
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you feel at least that it flows better?

I think so... It's hard to tell because atm the motor is pretty much stock. I've got all the MACE gear ready to go in, but I need a lot of spare time to do all that AND polish and fit the plenum at the same time. I'm about to start a temporary promotion role as a manager so it's less likely I'll get free time to spend on cars.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice (better than a 2.5" single IMO) when you give it a bit of throttle, it's just too quiet for my liking! You've done more on yours, so you might have a better outcome. It all depends on what you want, sound and/or performance. Purely from a sound perspective I think it'd benefit from different mufflers i.e. hot dogs, or straight pipes.