Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pro's & Cons of a Crate Motor - 350/400 SBC VS Building a Holden 355 Stroker

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE

HOLDEN 355 STROKER VS SBC CRATE MOTOR PROS & CONS

Gday

I own a vh sle two tone, 253 toploader.. and looking into the idea of upgrading my motor. My original plan was to look around for a black vk 308 and take it to an engine builder, to build me a 355 stroker, running the 4speed and for street driving. Aiming for the 400 hp mark.

A good friend of mine has been getting in my ear for ages telling me to forget the 308 all together and look at ordering a crate 350 - 400 chev, and putting that in the vh instead. My arguement at the start was to go down the 308 path because it was going to be much easier, and it would save me on any engineering/roadworthy issues down the track as my car came out with the 253.
Another friend of mine has a tough SBC in his lx torana and he said if i went down the chev path i would probably have a lot more problems to overcome.. As far as i know its just some engine mounts and a different bellhousing, but i am really unsure? has anyone done a similar conversion in a vh commodore?

My other friend who wants me to get the crate motor, keeps convincing me that I will save a shitload of money, not having to go through professional engine builders, blueprinting tuning etc..

What are your thoughts on this ppl?

355 Stroker or the Chev?

What are the cons of crate motors? And who is the best company to source a solid chev package?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Running big extractors are an issue with chevs in Toranas. Dunno what it's like with a Commodore. Little bit more room I imagine.

What about a 355 EFI 5L?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i saw a 350 chev motor in a vh ss once......they had to rape (cut) the sh!t out of the chassis rails just to get the headers down and out'
was not a good look to see an SS hacked into like that.... i dunno if there is another type of pipes to fit better.

what type of crate are u lookin at??

subbie313

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 Vt commodore , 84 Vk 308 commodore
someone told me the 350 crate motors where built in mexico now..mass produced my children who just slap them together?! lots of people in nz having problems with them

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The only con of a Chev in a Commodore is they aren't the best fit, a bit of dicking around is involved. Apart from that, there aren't any other cons to putting a Chev in IMO. If cheap, easy power is what you're after, you really can't beat the power per dollar value of a Chev.

Having said all that, there is still nothing wrong with a good strong 355 Holden. It's just that it will always cost more for the same power output of a Chev.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
SBC's are a terrible fit in a Commodore. Engine sits too high (usually you have to space the k-frame down, which causes all kinds of steering geometry problems eg pronounced bump steer). Distributor hits the firewall....

not difficult to make the same sort of hp out of a 355 Holden. Yes it will cost more to build up the Holden engine, but add the cost of the Chev conversion, and there's not going to be much between them.

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
yeh everyone keeps saying it costs more to get hp out of a holden
im really not sure what to do!
i definitely want a carby so not interested in an injected setup in this vh..

for say $10,000 is it likely I will be able to get a 308, as well as having it built for 400-450 hp by an engine builder?

who is the best company to source a chev from?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
If you fit the SBC you will have a hacked about SL/E that will be a pig to drive, no power steering, engine height issues the list will go on.

If you want a turn key and drive without issues go the 355, secondly have you thought about a supercharged 308 instead? Yella Terra make nice whipple kits

Scott

kimaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore SLE
If you fit the SBC you will have a hacked about SL/E that will be a pig to drive, no power steering, engine height issues the list will go on.

If you want a turn key and drive without issues go the 355, secondly have you thought about a supercharged 308 instead? Yella Terra make nice whipple kits

Scott

That sounds grouse! Ill have to do some research on them!

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Whipple will mean Efi though mate.