Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Purchased a car from car yard, possible that the RWC is dodgy..

LS1FUN

Confused with life..
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Holden VS S-Pack
Hi guys,

Well today I purchased a VS Sedan from a Dealership. Complete with RWC and 3 year mechanical warranty.

Now without going into alot of detail, I have a feeling that the car isn't roadworthy at all, there are some squeaking noises here and there, the steering wheel is off centre a bit, the engine light comes on when driving the car and the car doesn't feel like it's running the best either. Also tonight when I was putting new rims on the car I couldn't see any shock absorbers at all.

I had my suspicions when I went to pick up the car at around 11am today and the Dealer handed me the WRONG RWC. The RWC he gave me was for a VS Ute. I told him that this wasn't the RWC for the car I am purchasing and he tried to call the auto shop that did the RWC, but they didn't answer.

he then said that the mechanic, who from the sounds of it is a good mate of his, probably wouldn't be in till about 12:30 and that I should go kill some time and he'll give us a call when he talks to the mechanic, and get him to fax the correct RWC to the Dealership. I say OK, and go have some lunch.

12:30 on the dot the Dealer calls me and says he has the RWC for my car and that the mechanic had faxed it to him. I ended up purchasing the car anyway as I need a car for work.

Early next week I plan to take the car to one of my local auto shops and have them look over it, just to confirm whether the car is roadworthy or not.

Now...

If infact my local mechanic comes to the conclusion that the RWC I have for the car is dodgy, and there are issues with the car that need to be addressed asap, how would I go about reporting the Dealership & the auto shop that completed the RWC?

I'm quite annoyed at this, and i'd like to take this as far as I possibly can IF my suspicions are correct.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LS1FUN

Confused with life..
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Holden VS S-Pack
I'm in Victoria, FWIW.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
mate i feel your pain, caryard roadworthy's are dodgy 99% of the time, i recently brought a car from a yard and even after selling it to me with a RWC, low and behold its still leaking engine oil, has noisey struts etc, so actually its NOT roadworthy, my point being your not the only one to ever take it up the clacka from a caryard, get another inspection done with the list of faults and go back to the yard with it and tell them if something isnt done to fix your car you will go see the relevant authorities etc etc..........

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No need to read past the 1st line. I'd say it's probable the RWC is dodgy. Not much possible about it. If you think your car is unsafe then your first course of action is to try to return it to the seller for repairs. If this fails then approach the VACC who may be able to help you.

Reaper

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Like Reaper said ^^

First thing i would do is go to an RAA or MTA approved motor mechanic, get it inspected and everything that is worng listed on paper.

Then go back to the dealership, hand it to him and tell them to fix it, well the stuff that is unroadworthy.
If that fails the the VACC jobbo.

Smart words by the Reapers :D

LS1FUN

Confused with life..
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Holden VS S-Pack
Thanks for the replies so far guys,

I'm going to take it to an auto shop Monday to book in a time to have a general service done (most likely next weekend) and all steering components looked over and rectified if needed (steering wheel alignment/wheel alignment).

I'm also thinking of getting another RWC done on the car too and not have anything fixed, but everything that needs to be addressed written down by the mechanic. If it turns out that there are things wrong with the car that should've been addressed in the RWC Inspection before I purchased it, what would be my next move?

I noticed you guys mentioned the VACC. Sorry, but what exactly do they do and what could they do for me in this example?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
take your concerns up with vicroads they will investigate the dealer and the mechanic issuing the RWC

wickann15

YEEHAAAAAAAH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Clubsport
take your concerns up with vicroads they will investigate the dealer and the mechanic issuing the RWC

Have to agree with that. Stuff giving the car yard any chances to rectify the problem. If you don't report it they will just do it all over again to some other poor bastard. Report it and once they investigate, the mechanic will loose his license. No idea what would happen to the dealership- most likely they will claim they didn't know it was a dodgy roadworthy and get away with it.

Next time I'd be getting RACV to check over the vehicle before you purchase it.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I had a dodgy RWC when I bought my VS from a dealer. Took it to a top mechanic for a service and a full going-over, then took it back to the dealer with a list of faults for them to fix.

Nearly 3 years on and I've replaced almost everything the dealer "fixed" when I took it back

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
def get another roadworthy, save alot of hassle in the end. if ya just get (say a 'midas') inspection it wont really hold up as they can say its only to make money, but if got another roadworthy from approved station the car yard guy will poo his pants and who ever did the dodgy roadworthy too.. the fine is massive for doing dodgy's..............