Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

push button start

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If your going to be dicking with the wiring anyway you should install a startermotor relay to begin with as fitted to all late model vehicles i.e. VN series onwards etc. as it's currently wired, all the current required to run the starter motor solenoid goes through the ignition switch which has led to many a failed/burnt ignition switches, myself included in a VK. solution is simple, pull the wire that goes to the startermotor solenoid off and fit to a standard relay pin No. 85 take a fused (say 30amps) feed straight from the battery to pin No. 30 and from pin No.87 to the startermotor solenoid and earth pin No. 86. make sure the wiring you use from the battery to relay to startermotor solenoid is of atleast the same gauge or heavier than the original wiring. now to fit a push button starter take a +12v from somewhere in the fuse panel "ignition switched accesories" feed to your push button and then to pin No.85 on the relay you just fitted. now you will be able to start the car with either the key or the push button and the push button starter will only work with the key swithed to atleast the accesory or ignition on etc:yeah: your ignition switch is now protected from high currents, and starting may be easier on some vehicles that have worn ignition switches. i recommend this upgrade to any early commodore owner. if you intend to totally remove the ignition switch from the steering column you should switch all the feeds through relays. you can use a key'd switch you could fit just about anywhere to the +12v feed before the switches and therefor still retain the safety of a key somewhere in the electrical system

leighroyz

Reaction score
Red, Pink, Purple and brown...i think...the which would be str, acc, ign1, ign2 for a vp? ive got a dogey wiring diagram for something different n need some advice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
just run a relay from the oil pressure switch for the power to the starter button, and then it wont turn the starter when the motor is running, easy! And ignore those old farts who say dont do it, its your car isnt it? Keep us informed OK,
Colin

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
As above or a Alternator D+ can be used, sometimes the oil pressure could be up on cranking and cut your starter in and out.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
.that's right...the OLDER cars had it..it is called PROGRESS, not REGRESS.......I NEVER turn my key when the motor is running...I can always tell when its going..(it's called "look at your Instruments".).....

yeh true ratt... also called.. get a decent exhaust so you can HEAR your car running