Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Q's 1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw project

ievaq8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 MAN SS UTE
awesome mate,
love the DIY and wat u have done to this car...

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
The diff has been moved slightly more towards the drivers side of the car thanks to the adjustable panhard. the car sits more to the passengers side the lower it gets and thats the side its rubbing on.

Have also massaged the inner rear guards and timmed in two places (each side) to allow future clearance if required.

alignment done

rear brake pipe replaced.

all sorted for when the cert man returns to put the cert plate on it. yay

------------

now just to sort the temp gauge in compatability and figure out why the fan system internally and im good to go.

Will most likely need to replace the starter as after teh firs few drives i have taken it on it doesnt like starting when hot. from what i read this is a common issue on the hoden starter as they used soft windings or something.

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
hopefully sorted out the temp gauge issue today.

pulled the dash out (again) and noiced it was VDO branded. So i popped into robinson instruments with both my VL dash and the VN water gauge section. they had a look see and come back with a new 1/8" NPT sender that should work the right range as needed. Wont get a chance to check until thursday due to work commitments but fingers crossed.

VDO Part number for ref is 320.002

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
Well the VDO sender (320.002) unit didnt work. in actual fact, within 800m it was reading high so I know that isnt the right part. At least the factory sender unit lasted 3-4mins before it hit hot. have pulled the dash back out and both senders and the vn dash and are taking it all in to them to check (again). grrrr

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
what a biatch-trial and error until you find something to work I guess

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
the vdo sender i ended up using was the 320.032. when i installed this the car run at just over half way for the test runs. while it was idling the temp shot up close to 3/4 and the fan didnt kick in. i had a manual switch which i flicked and the fan started and the temp come back down to between 1/2 and 3/4 then when i took it for a drive it dropped even more ....

now to get the fan control reprogrammed to a lowr temp (110 is jsut to high). im thinking 90ish.

being that I run the vs twin speed fan and dont have the second circuit at present (a/c), i might even wire up my switch to the a/c circuit and leave the ecu circuit as is (but lowered in temp).

------------------------

unfortunatly the cert man cant come back around before xmas so my plate will need to wait until the new year :(

at least it all works though

Q

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
While Im waiting for the cert man I decided to send immortality my ecu for a reflash and to lower the fan temperature.

Should get it back today with the HSV 185i tune and fan temp lowered for 95/91 I think it was.

Other than that I guess I should put the dash cover back on and sort out the gear shifter cover.

Q

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looking good mate.

Fingers crossed it's all good now :)