Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Quadrajet pipe block off .

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
Hi Guys . Wanting to know which pipes i can block off on the quady ? wanting to get rid of all the pollution crap and tidy the engine bay up a little more . Heres a pic of the pipes at the front .....

P17-12-10_1754.jpg

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
carb looks a treat
a bit of good advice though. If you are going to remove the emissions gear, then keep it in the shed (don't chuck it out)
if the cops open your bonnet, you'll get slapped with a defect and will need to refit it all. Seen many guys on various car forums searching around desperately trying to find all the emissions devices so they can get the defect cleared

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi Guys . Wanting to know which pipes i can block off on the quady ? wanting to get rid of all the pollution crap and tidy the engine bay up a little more . Heres a pic of the pipes at the front .....

P17-12-10_1754.jpg

keep the big brass one at top RH...to vent the fuel bowl (which is a must)
its goes to the charcoal canister or if thats missing to the tank return

if you are running a PCV valve you need the bottom LH large one (next to the fuel intake)
if not..block it off

all the others can be blocked off ...and take the vac advance for the dizzy from the manifold

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...odify-quadrajets-also-vac-hose-diagram.121828
2nd pic down
p.s. dont take the vac advance off the manifold. its supposed to come off ported vac. a really common mistake.

having spent the best part of the past 25 years building and modifying quaddies for street and circuit
I am sorry but ported vac should only be used with the other pollution stuff GMH fit like...
TCS solenoid and vac source plus the EGR EVE TVS valve..that is on a street based engine

If you are wanting to block the quaddie off and have no pollution devices (like used on the track)
ported vac is the last thing you need. Just where is a decent vac signal for the dizzy coming from in this case?
If you are using a modded dizzy with no vac advance then of course it doesnt matter. Use a dizzy with an advance
means you need decent vac

ps
if you starting a fix/mod on a Quaddie you really need to have a handful of this sorta stuff to hand
(not just a repair/gasket kit) and understand what it means to change needles, jets, rods, hangers etc
DSC00676.jpg

ALSO you must understand what the APT is and what it does. Its no good saying 'dont touch'
if you are modding the rest of the carb as its a very handy tuning tool (if you know what you are doing)

cheers

Last edited:

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Smitty is right and if you are unsure how to setup this carbi seek professional advice because they are a quite complex carbi to get right.

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
Thanks guys . I'm not wanting to touch anything in or on the quadrajet . All i want to do is get rid of the pipes and pollution crap .

With the vac advance . does it have to have constant vacuum? Or does it get different amount of vacuum that make it advance ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys . I'm not wanting to touch anything in or on the quadrajet . All i want to do is get rid of the pipes and pollution crap .

With the vac advance . does it have to have constant vacuum? Or does it get different amount of vacuum that make it advance ?

a dizzy works with varying vacuum levels
thats how (for a moment leave out the mech advance in it) a dizzy advances timing in line with engine demand

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Just where is a decent vac signal for the dizzy coming from in this case?
lolwtf? ummm, from ported vac? ok, so we have another case of two varying opinions here. and an argument since day dot. OP google both ported vac and full vac and make the decision which one you want to use.

ALSO you must understand what the APT is and what it does. Its no good saying 'dont touch'
if you are modding the rest of the carb as its a very handy tuning tool (if you know what you are doing)

and im going to have a massive lol here, i am assuming you are refering this to my rebuld thread. i am guessing that the average plonker doesnt really have access to a gas analyser or have an O2 sensor fitted to their car, but i guess your saying "as long as you know what it does its ok to make adjustments to it" ????

fair enough mate.